Valley of Vermont (Bennington to Manchester) Report: "It Ain't Easy Being Green"

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Valley of Vermont (Bennington to Manchester) Report: "It Ain't Easy Being Green"

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Took a drive up route 7A and down route 7 this afternoon. There is some nice color, especially in places, but the predominant shade is green.

I was shocked. It's October 10 and I have never seen so many gree trees, even at elevation. Even Mount Equinox is mostly green! It's truly bizarre.

The models call for a cold shot next weekend, and there are still a lot of leaves on the trees, so we could still have a good foliage season.. but it will be after the 20th. I could even see good color still being around in the warmest spots on Halloween this year.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Andy

Re: Valley of Vermont (Bennington to Manchester) Report: "It Ain't Easy Being Green"

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:31 pm

We will await your great shots, IXL :D
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Valley of Vermont (Bennington to Manchester) Report: "It Ain't Easy Being Green"

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Charles: come down here fast! I spent 9 hours in the car today in extreme NW corner of CT (near NY border) and it is nearing peak. After the frost tonight, it is going to be blazing by midweek and the best for the next weekend! I was in foliage heaven all day! (Well after two hours of the Arabian horse show in Lakeville! :wink:) . Charles, I promised you a trip down here! I'm off again tomorrow for another 9 hours! :lol: When folks get done with our beloved Vermont, come on down! :D

Charles: if it is peaking around the weekend of the 17 and 18 or even the following weekend, please let me know and I'll drive up to Bennington and troll around with you! Praying we don't have a wind/rain event!

YAY!!!!!!! So happy! :D

ixl

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:31 pm

Hey CT,

Appreciate the offer and I do want to get down there sometime but I can't this week because of work. I really hate having a "real job" sometimes. :(

But maybe next weekend if it is looking good still.

I actually expect peak in Bennington to be in 2 weeks, if it happens at all.

I got one nice shot today at Harriman Reservoir. That's it. But again, I am very picky at this point about what I will bother shooting locally (less picky if somewhere else).

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:36 pm

ok well I'll come up there before the end of the month. Just let me know what day of the weekend weather permitting. I think I'm hiking this weekend with bhavjen on Sunday or one day the following weekend. You can join us if we go......

ixl

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Keep me posted. I may be being a bit picky on the color but I just haven't been finding things that make me want to take out my camera yet.

This coming weekend looks cold... but may also be stormy. We'll hope for the best. I hope I will get to see you. :)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Charles: when I come up to see you in Bennington, I'd leave my house at 7:30 and get there by 9:30??? I would have to leave by 3:00 so let's pack whatever we can in a tour. YAY! Hope we can do this! :wink:

ixl

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:15 pm

We'll work it out. It's still very green here and with warm weather the next few days I don't think this coming weekend will do it. If we are lucky, maybe the next one. I'm trying not to get my hopes up as often the stars don't "align" in this area. The color in the upper elevations was really disappointing :/