SW corner higher elevation report - eh

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

SW corner higher elevation report - eh

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:39 am

(Disclaimer: I have very high standards for what I consider good foliage. It is still very pretty out there. I just prefer to be really honest about what I see.)

There are a few pockets of good color but it's mostly average or below and just.. weird in a lot of places. Color change in valleys with green above, hillsides with a mix of green and red trees, etc.

I've never seen so many green trees at the Hogback Mountain overlook in mid-October.

Kelly Stand was a pretty drive but the color is mediocre, though better near the bottom.

Route 9 from Bennington to Wilmington was mostly below average, some decent spots, Harriman Reservoir looks nice and is worth a stop.

The best color I saw was along Route 7 between Bennington and Arlington. Though still a lot of green.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: SW corner higher elevation report - eh

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:22 pm

Charles: Let me know how things progress over the next 10 days and I'll drive up. You promised me a hike years ago to the tower! :P I have some activities planned tentatively for the next two weekends but would rearrange to meet you in Bennington. We had fun two years ago tooling around the north country! :lol:

I would like to take the drive up to Somerset Reservoir on the forest road and to Grout Pond on Kelly Stand. Just a thought or two....Maybe Equinox drive? I'll stop there..... :roll:

ixl

Re: SW corner higher elevation report - eh

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:36 pm

Somerset/Kelly is where I went this morning. It's not a good year, and it will be well past peak before you can get up here. The only hope for good color left for this area is for the valleys if it ever gets cold... meanwhile.. 74 on Monday? Unreal. I still have tomatoes growing, we literally have not had a hard frost yet.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!