Chittenden Reservoirs- morning shot with fog- how are colors?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

mgdolly86

Chittenden Reservoirs- morning shot with fog- how are colors?

Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:55 am

Hi All - we are visiting Vermont (Waterbury) from 9th-12 Oct and would like to capture morning shot of pond/reservoir covered with fog and mountains as backdrop.. I have seen some pictures online and also taken by my friend last year and loved them.. Could any one suggest are there any other places similar to below (pond/reservoir covered with fog and mountains as backdrop and small trees in middle of reservoir) near Waterbury?

Has any one visited Chittenden Reservoirs lately? How are colors coming there? we are planning to visit for morning shots of reflection and fog..Any tips what time we should plan to visit for morning shots with fog and camera settings/tips :) ?
Attachments
20091004_0165-Edit.jpg
20091004_0165-Edit.jpg (190.86 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
VT Pond.jpg
VT Pond.jpg (28.99 KiB) Viewed 7437 times

autzig

Re: Chittenden Reservoirs- morning shot with fog- how are colors?

Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Who can successfully predict fog on a pond?

I think your best bets might be Noyes Pond on 302 at Seyon State Park near Groten and Ricker Pond just of 232, also near Groten.

If you have freezing temperatures at night, you should get fog rising off the water and you may have more generalized fog. You should be on location before sunrise. I would suggest no later than 6:30 AM.

As for tips, I'd say, shoot based on your meter reading and adjust based on your histogram. If you have wind and fog moving over the water, use a fast shutter speed to stop the motion. If you want motion blur, use a slow shutter speed.

By the way, the top photo looks seriously Photoshopped so don't expect to capture something like that. I've never seen fog clear around an Island only, which seems to be the case here. It is pretty good Photoshop work, but it looks less than perfect.

Al

ixl

Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:32 pm

Saturday night will be cool and clear so Sunday morning is probably your best chance.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

mgdolly86

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:06 pm

admin, ctyanky, bm, Andy, pwt54, autzig - Do any of the ponds Ricker Pond, Noyes Pond or Elmore have a small island in middle of the water like Chittenden? I know we cant predict the fog but i am going to try and visit on both morning Sunday and Monday to see if we are lucky :)... But first we need to decide the spot for best shot and chances. Thanks in advance for your inputs.