Stowe Fall trip 9-12 Oct..Need help planning..

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

mgdolly86

Stowe Fall trip 9-12 Oct..Need help planning..

Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:08 pm

We are visiting Vermont for first time this weekend between 9-12th Oct for fall colors (staying in Tunbridge on friday night and in waterbury on Saturday and Sunday night)..

We would like to do some scenic drives, visit a water body(lake,pond or reservoir for morning shot with fog), check out some covered bridges with back drop of fall colors and hopefully some farms..

Some of routes i picked up are below, please suggest if it would be nice this weekend?
Rt 108 between Stowe and Smuggler's Notch
Montpelier, Worcester and Lake(56 miles) - Elmore http://www.gostowe.com/thingstodo/sport ... es/drives7
Stowe Hollow, Little River Dam, Ben & Jerry's and Cold Hollow Cider Mill (38miles) -http://www.gostowe.com/thingstodo/sport ... es/drives5

One more spot we picked up is Groton State Park - Kettle Pond and Owls Head Hike after seeing some fantastic pics.. Also please let us know if there are other photo ops or points which we should check other than Owls head?

Please help us with some suggestions on covered bridges and water bodies for early morning with fog and reflection and have always loved them..

Also any farms around to take pictures of cows with backdrop of fall colored mountains?

Highly appreciate your inputs for making our trip memorable.

Andy

Re: Stowe Fall trip 9-12 Oct..Need help planning..

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:29 am

Hi MG: The link you posted brings up an error message for me. On the photography forum you expressed concerns about the foliage this year. Ironically, in most years, your timing for this trip would be too late, particularly in the Stowe and other northern areas. Because the foliage appears to be as much as 2 weeks late this year, you will probably see some nice foliage.

Best to look at the "driving routes" and "lakes and ponds" threads for your answers. There are lots of suggestions. I was there last week and I would recommend Seyon Ranch State Park and Noyes Pond in the park. It is not far from Waterbury. If you take I-89 South (southwest) from Waterbury to 302 (Barre) and follow 302 West you will see the brown State Park Sign just before you reach the State Forest Road (232). If you get to 232 turn around and look for the sign (now on your right). Turn onto the SP road and follow it back a mile or so (it is dirt) and you come to the Noyes Pond Parking lot. Best light is probably morning here. If you are fortunate and get there early on a cold clear morning, you will get fog and reflections. Afterward, go back to 232 and drive this road. It is pretty magical. The Owls Head Overlook is here and is a pretty short (though steep) hike to the top after the drive up to the parking area. But at the top of 232, turn East on US 2 (you will be able to follow this back to Montpelier to catch I-89 back to Waterbury). Follow 2 East to Danville, and turn south there following the signs to Peacham. There you will find the barn scene and I have most of the time found cows in the foreground. Its a pretty famous shot and you will recognize it. It is a good "day" trip from Waterbury.

To be a "shill" my eBook (see the "sticky" post in the foliage forum main board) gives directions and a photo of the Peacham scene (without cows).

Good luck
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .