Mad River Glen And Killington Foliage And Snow

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

loafer89

Mad River Glen And Killington Foliage And Snow

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:54 am

Date: Saturday, October 3rd.

location: I-91, 1-89, Route 12, Moretown Gap Road, Route 100, Route 17, Route 103.

I started the day with my son driving north from Enfield, CT in rain and fog. Rain continued until Brattleboro and the stopped with clearing skies around Mt Ascutney. I-91 is primarily green with spots of 25-50% color near the MA/VT line. We continued north on I-89 to exit 5 and North on Route 12 to Norwich. Color along I-89 is primarily 25-50% with green Oak Trees. Color increased to near peak in spots along Moretown Road and along Moretown Gap. We drove south on Route 100 to route 17 and on to Mad River Glen. I was surprised to see snow/Rime above 3,000' at the ski area, but unfortunately skies remained cloudy with the cloud base roughly paralleling the freezing line.

Color on Mad River Glen is about 60%:

We continued south along Route 100 to Killington which featured about 50-60% color change, but rather drab in spots. Killington was the greenest I have ever seen in early October with around 60% color change: