Suggestions for foliage trip

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

jackla4

Suggestions for foliage trip

Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:58 pm

This is my very first trip to the Vermont area. My wife and I are arriving Boston, Friday night, renting a car and spending Saturday (Sept 25th) thru Sunday (Oct 3rd) in Vermont, Newhampshire, and Maine. First two nights are in White River Junction (Saturday/Sunday), then three nights (Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday) in St. Johnsbury, then to Kennebunkport on Thursday, and finally Gloucester Friday/Saturday to see the Maine coast. I'm really looking forward to the sights of your state and area. Here in the DEEP SOUTH (Louisiana) we do not get to see foliage change. It pretty much stays green, then dies and falls due to a short fall.

What suggested routes can you give to me for the areas we will be visiting. I have read all of the posts in this forum while I've been "lurking", trying to learn where to drive and what routes to take.

Also, what sights do you suggest we make sure we see? Obviously we are going to be the TYPICAL tourist (White Mountain area, bridges, coast line of Maine and lobster). Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. I am really anxious to see your state and area. Thanks for all you help, insight, and suggestions.
Louisiana Jack

pwt54

Re: Suggestions for foliage trip

Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:45 am

I was down near White River Jct. on Sunday. Not much for color there yet. Plan to do some sightseeing on those 2 days. Pick up route 14 north in White River and drive that to Barre. Stop at Eaton's Sugarhouse at the Jct. of route 107 for a coffee and some maple candy. Route 14 north of there is a quite lonely road and a nice ride. When you come to East Brookfield look for route 65 on your left just north of the viilage. Take that to Brookfield and check out the Floating Bridge over Sunset Lake. If you do drive over, try not to splash the fisherfolks on the bridge. Go back to route 14 and turn left and continue up to Barre. The ride from Williamstown to Barre is not scenic but there are a couple of things you may want to do. At the traffic light in South Barre next to MacDonalds turn right and go to the Rock Of Ages Visitors Center. Check the center and the stuff in back and then take the shuttle bus to the quarries. Go back to route 14 turn right and head for Barre. It should be lunchtime. Turn right at Main Street and try either th Farmer's Diner on the left or for a lighter lunch, Soups and Greens in the shopping center on the right. After lunch turn around and go back to the traffic light you came from. Go straight on route 302 east to East Barre and pick up route 110 south. You might see some early color as you start. You should see a couple of covered bridges, also. When you get to route 14 turn left and pick up I-89 in Sharon. Take I-89 south to White River. Pick a nice day for this ride. On the not so nice day, take I-91 south to exit 9. Turn left at theend of the ramp and go to Windsor. Turn left on Bridge Street at the econd traffic light and drive through the longest covered bridge in the USA. Go back through the bridge to the light and turn right. Go back through Windsor and drive past the interstate and pick up route 12 north in Hartland. Drive route 12 to route US 4 and turn left for Woodstock. Check out Woodstock and then take route 12 north from Main Street about 1 mile and do the Billings Rarm Museum and the Masch - Billings - Rockefeller Nat. Park. When you are done there, go back to Woodstock and turn left. Head east on Route US 4 and check out the Raptor Center and Quechee Gorge in Quechee. Finish route US 4 east to I-89 south to White River and rest up. You're heading for foliage country tomorrow. Take I-91 north to St. Johnsbury. Route US 5 between St. Johnsbury and Lyndonville is not very scenic, so take I-91 north to exit 23 in Lyndonville. Turn right and drive route US 5 north through Lyndonville to route 5A in west Burke. Take route 5A up to Lake Willoughby. At the top of the lake on the left side is Route 16. Take that to Barton. There was some real 'firecrackers" there yesterday. Turn right in Barton and pick up route 16 south about a 1/4 on the left. Drive that through Glover ( stop at Currier's store and check out the stuffed moose) and pick up route 122 south to Lyndonville and head for the motel. If you have another full day in Vt. pick any roads north of route US 2 and east of route 100 and just drive. For your trip to Maine, take I-91 south to exit 19 and take I-93 through Franconia Notch in NH. I-93 and route US 3 combine through the notch. When they split below the notch stay on route US 3 and check out Clark's Trading Post, an all american tourist trap. Trained black bears and a short steam train ride and trinkets. Continue south to route 112 east. What a ride! Take that to Conway, NH. and pick up route 302 east tp Portland Maine. Have fun.

jackla4

Re: Suggestions for foliage trip

Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:49 pm

Thank you for the detailed trip suggestion. I have been printing out so many of the trip details and taking all the suggestions with me. I'm really looking forward to seeing your great state and enjoying the Northeast. Thanks again for all your help.
Louisiana Jack