RAGING WATERS!!! Moss Glen, Texas Falls, Rising Streams!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

RAGING WATERS!!! Moss Glen, Texas Falls, Rising Streams!

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi foliage fans: If you are a fan of waterfalls, now is your chance! WOW WOW WOW. Today Al and I hit the road in the rain and had a great day!!!!

Moss Glen Falls in Granville is absolutely amazing. The best to come! Texas Falls! Unbelievable raging waters! This is the place to go now to get your shots! All along our route, the streams were rising and little waterfalls were appearing out of nowhere in the woods.

Al my dear pal, forgot his hiking shoes and I watched him slip on rocks at Texas Falls after he hopped over the fence to get a good shot. I got very nervous and thought I would be losing dear Al into the falls but he recovered nicely. :lol: I felt like it would be a rescue mission very soon but when I told Al I saw him slip, he thought it would be a recovery mission! :shock:

We spent most of the day on the Middlebury Gap and Lincoln. Lincoln is in moderate color with a few places already in peak. We covered a lot of territory in Lincoln thanks to my years of training with VT moderator bm. Al got quite excited in Lincoln and so did I! I'll make another post later about the roads to take in Lincoln!

I managed to get us lost on the Natural Turnpike (59) off of 125. I don't know what I was thinking. Being the patient, gentleman that Al is, he was very good natured about my intermittent confusion! :oops: Thankfully, I rerouted us down the Lincoln Ripton Road. Just beautiful! It would not have even happened if I didn't get lost! Just goes to show......... :wink:

I took Al to one of my favorite stops on the Middlebury Gap. Frost Road to Robert Frost's cabin at Homer Noble Farm. This is where he spent summers writing his poems. I love it there. So did Al.........

We are all meeting up for dinner tonight in Waitsfield. Al is now on his way to pick up Andy at the airport! The fun begins! :mrgreen:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Utah Baker

Re: RAGING WATERS!!! Moss Glen, Texas Falls, Rising Streams!

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Sounds like your having a wonderful time, so glad the weather isn't keeping you down. I had to cringe when you talked about Al slipping as I rolled my ankle a week ago today, and I'm so hoping I can to the hike to Owl Head! Hope Sat turns out to be a great day for you. Look forward to seeing some of you on Sun!

deaner1971

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:16 am

This is perfect!

I will shoot landscapes during the golden hours and venture into the woods to shoot waterfalls during the mid-day!

I hope everyone is having a great and safe visit.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:22 am

Wish you were here with us Dean! We are having a ball together!!!! :) So nice to see Al and Andy and Carol after so many years!

Andy

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:17 pm

Dean: Where are you?
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

deaner1971

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:13 am

I am still at home. I am planning to be up next week during the week.

There had been more rain forecast for right before I arrive (which is what I was excited about) but, now all of the forecasts show clear weather from now until Friday of next week.

Looks like my excitement over strong flows was premature. Then again, how long will the recent rains impact stream flows that go through the falls? My experience is in the west where the flows are only impacted by rain for a day or two after the rain ends.

Plan G might have to be implemented where I play some golf between periods of good shooting light one day.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:38 pm

Hey Dean: you are right in your assumption. bm and I just passed Moss Glen in Granville and it was reduced by 50% from the heavy rainfall and is now down to the regular autumn flow. Still beautiful though! Have a great trip!

deaner1971

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:31 pm

CT, thank you!

I will continue to be positive and think "dry trails" rather than "dry stream beds".

Thank you again and be safe.

Andy

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:58 am

I think the waterfalls I saw while there last week were fine. Maybe slightly less than normal, but plenty of flow for photography. And remember, "raging" water also often means dirty water. The ones we saw were running clear and white.

Sorry, Dean, that I missed you once again, but in this instance, it appears that you may have chosen the better week. Good luck and please report in!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .