significant increase color on rt 2 today

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

minnesotaman

significant increase color on rt 2 today

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:49 pm

between st johnsbury and marshfield, and side roads. even some reds. not 2014 bright reds, but reds. macks mtn road also showing a lot of progress, mostly yellows, but good ones, dramatic against the greens--a lot of chartreuse, and against the black/wet tree branches in this area. a picturesque old barn on macks mtn road, located about a mile south of rt 2 on the right hand side of the road has been torn down.

some parts of 89 from montpelier south starting to perk up also. still only about 30%, but looking good for five to seven days out.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: significant increase color on rt 2 today

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi Minn: Phil and I were there yesterday. We saw that old barn that was torn down too. I agree, route 2 has marked improvement. Plainfield, Marshfield are definitely showing nice color along route 2. Take the Bayley Hazen road later on for a great drive into Mosquitoville.

Try going into Groton State Forest on 232 and you will be pleased as well. Stop at all those ponds! Head into Seyon State Forest and go to Noyes Pond on 302. Beautiful with 1/3 colors coming up from the lake!

Love to hear of your daily journeys! CT :D

minnesotaman

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:43 pm

i got some really good shots at noyes pond in 2013, so i am spoiled. what "percent" of color would you say is there now? the impression i have from other posts is that it is ok, but still a ways to go. i was near there today, but it was gray and raining so i decided not to go. i am concerned that it will top out during all of this rain.

have you, or anyone here, been to colton pond yet?

has anyone been up to job's pond in the last day?

tomorrow looks like a bust, but thursday is forecast to be rainless even if cloudy. if there is no wind thursday, i might head to the ponds that day for reflections.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:55 pm

Phil and I went to Jobs Pond with Tim Admin on Sunday. It was mostly green with slight hints of color. A lot can change in a few days.

Noyes was in the early stages with a lot of reds appearing in the hills to the right of the pond and I would say more than 30% and we were there yesterday. Water was rough due to the breezy conditions so not a reflective day.

mmvt is in Killington and is the Colton Pond expert, she may have already been there.

Al and I are going out in the rain tomorrow down 100 over to the Middlebury Gap which was quite nice at the higher elevations last Saturday behind Breadloaf campus.

Thursday is a good day for your pond tour!