CT and PWT find surprising color on 232 in the Groton State Forest!!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

CT and PWT find surprising color on 232 in the Groton State Forest!!!

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi all you foliage fans! Today Phil and I hit the backroads chasing color! We had a fantastic but exhausting day and I'm still sitting in my chair from 5:00 decompressing!

Anyways, route 2 in Marshfield and Plainfield is looking so fine! We then entered 232 to the Groton State Forest. Lots of great color along the roads emerging nicely and it is the best we have seen in four days! We stopped at Owl's Head, Ricker Pond, Kettle Pond, Groton Pond and Seyon Pond. Seyon is looking the most advanced! Wow, do I love ponds now! :mrgreen:

Phil got very excited so that is your first clue. Anyways, we went into NH and were disappointed due to the low color in Franconia Notch but route 112 was looking really good. We stopped at Beaver Pond. Oh, that place is so enchanting. It was green but I can just imagine how beautiful it would be with high color or peak. :shock: I couldn't tear myself away!

We ate lunch at Polly's Pancakes too, Phil's favorite spot.

The we took some beautiful back roads home. The ones that come to mind are South Bayley Hazen Road to North Bayley Hazen Road to Mosquitoville Road to Peacham Road to Mack Mountain Road back to route 2. Early color but these roads are just heaven to travel on!

Gorgeous weather again today with a light sprinkle on the way back to Waitsfield but dry when we got there!

Another productive day chasing the color and finding some great roads in between! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

pwt54

Re: CT and PWT find surprising color on 232 in the Groton State Forest!!!

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:51 am

Groton State Forest has the best color I've seen so far. The early turning stressed out trees are peaking. The rest of the trees have color, but are not eye popping yet.
Peacham is not as advanced as Groton, but should be nice this weekend. Color is looking stronger today on route 100 north of Route 15 than it did last Friday.
We should have nice color this weekend in northeast VT, north of route 15 and east of route 100 and the Groton/Peacham area. But I don't think there will be peak color until later next week.
The weather doesn't look great for this weekend, but it won't be a washout. Temperatures will be dropping to the 50s and 60s.

From_the_NEK

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:13 am

Color is changing rapidly here in the Passumpsic River valley as well. I took this shot this morning of the hillside behind the office between rain showers. Two days ago this hillside was completely green.

ImageMorning Foliage and Fog by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageTransition to Fall by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Rockwall Tim

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:30 am

Did you go to Owl's Head and look west to Kettle Pond? If so, how was the color? We're gonna be there Sunday or Monday and would love to be able to take a memorable photo.
II Cor. 4:17

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi Rockwall Tim: a bunch of us are heading there on Thursday and I hope someone will hike up to the top with me. Then we can give you a better idea of the colors. Phil and I just drove into the parking area because we had a lot of ponds to scout out nearby for the gang. Things appear to be moving along at a more accelerated pace as I drove around today in Waitsfield.

Tim NEK: I noticed the change overnight. That's why I don't want folks to give up hope despite the incoming rain. I remain optimistic as always. :wink:

mgdolly86

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:27 pm

We are visiting Vermont for first time this weekend between 9-12th Oct for fall colors (staying in Tunbridge on friday night and in waterbury on Saturday and Sunday night)..

We would like to do some scenic drives, visit a water body(lake,pond or reservoir for morning shot with fog), check out some covered bridges with back drop of fall colors and hopefully some farms..

Some of routes i picked up are below, please suggest if it would be nice this weekend?
Rt 108 between Stowe and Smuggler's Notch
Montpelier, Worcester and Lake(56 miles) - Elmore http://www.gostowe.com/thingstodo/sport ... es/drives7
Stowe Hollow, Little River Dam, Ben & Jerry's and Cold Hollow Cider Mill (38miles) -http://www.gostowe.com/thingstodo/sport ... es/drives5

One more spot we picked up is Groton State Park - Kettle Pond and Owls Head Hike after seeing some fantastic pics.. Also please let us know if there are other photo ops or points which we should check other than Owls head?

Please help us with some suggestions on covered bridges and water bodies for early morning with fog and reflection and have always loved them..

Also any farms around to take pictures of cows with backdrop of fall colored mountains?

Highly appreciate your inputs for making our trip memorable.

Andy

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:34 am

There is a nice little pond at the south end of 232 (state forest highway - groton) - Ricker Pond. If the wind is not blowing there are some very nice reflection opportunities there, and it is generally nice foliage.

Also, see my note on Noyes Pond in Seyon Ranch SP in your thread asking for planning help. It is very close to Groton SF
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

mgdolly86

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:13 am

Thanks Andy.. Seyon Ranch is inside the park right? it is were most of the photos with two chairs in front of pond and hills in front are taken :lol: ? I saw same on MM photos yesterday right?

Andy

Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:09 pm

Yes. Parking lot at end of the road. Chairs are waiting for you :D
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .