VT and NH trip Oct 5-9 suggestions...

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

fallingforcolors

VT and NH trip Oct 5-9 suggestions...

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:38 am

Great forum thank you for all the updates.

I will be in VT for 3 days Oct 5 to 7 and NH for the following 2 days. This was a long overdue trip and I've been planning for months for taking landscape photos. Do you have any suggestion for 3 days in VT. I will be staying in Waitsfield. what are some nice locations near ponds, lakes anything to reflection photography of the beautiful scenery. Should I stick around Waitsfiels and further north east? Will there be any colors in Route 100 south of waitsfield. I know it's a hit and miss with predicting the colors but I won't get this opportunity again so trying to get the maximum out of whatever mother nature presents :). Thank you very much for your help.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: VT and NH trip Oct 5-9 suggestions...

Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Hi FFC: I just finished a six hour tour around the Waitsfield area today and I think you will hit the jackpot in your timeframe. I'm thinking you should stick to ponds and lakes, the waterfalls I just drove by are LOW, but still pretty. Blueberry Lake in Warren comes to mind; I was going to stop and missed the turn and kept going. I'm going to make a few posts on the color soon.

Welcome to the forum! Keep the questions coming!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

fallingforcolors

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi ctyanky: Thank you..that's fantastic. Can't wait to see your great state, years of dream to capture the magic

fallingforcolors

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:41 pm

Hi ctyanky: Will smuggler's notch state park be a good place to visit during this timeframe?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:52 am

hmmmmm, it was totally green two days ago. All the way up to the top where we turned around. The whole valley was green with subtle hints of change around Stowe. I'll have a better idea later this week. Maybe someone driving up there can chime in, but at this point I have no idea. Sorry! I'm waiting to see what the night lows are. The days are sunny and warm, good for the change but some cooler nights are vital now. Stay tuned!

P.S. I don't live here, just consider it my second home. Since I am just two hours from the border, I'm here in all seasons. But I owe all my experiences to Phil and bm, our VT moderators with whom I have become good friends and who take me to all ends of the earth here! :D

Andy

Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:18 am

Hi FFC: I will second CT's comments. Waitsfield is one of the near-perfect places to stay during this time of the year. If you are an early riser (an as a landscape photographer, you likely are) you will find several wonderful photo ops very close to Waitsfield, including the Common Road, Bragg Hill Road, and parts of the Mad River. There are two "gap" roads nearby.

Stowe and vicinity is but a short drive from Waisfield (at least in terms of Vermont driving :D ), and it is not too much of a stretch to get to Peacham (and you should) and the NEK. You are on Rout 100 which is perhaps the most famous foliage highway in VT, and you cannot go wrong, North or South for views. As in every year, stick close here and you might have to "follow the foliage."

With Tim's permission, a blatant plug for my own e-book, written after my many travels. It is getting dated, but still has useful information about places to shoot and how to find them - soon to be updated with a new surprise co-writer):

http://www.amazon.com/Photographing-Ver ... ll+foliage

Good shooting. A bunch of us SOVers will be in Waitsfield area next week. Look us up.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

fallingforcolors

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:34 am

Hi Andy: First thing I did after making plans is to buy your book from Amazon :). Still researching through...I will definitely do lot of driving to follow the color. Since I'm splitting the vacation between VT and NH would it make a difference where I go first within the 5 days. For NH mostly around white mountains.

Andy

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks for that :D

I will be in Waitsfield Wed-Friday. My cell is 989-798-7325. Feel free to text or call. Would love to have you join our group
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

fallingforcolors

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks Andy. You are so kind. I will be leaving for NH on Wednesday night, definitely will try to catch up and join your group. I will text you on Tuesday to get details.