Where to Visit

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

foliagefan

Where to Visit

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:15 pm

This is my family's first trip to Vermont and my elderly mother has wanted to see Vermont in the fall her entire life, so it is very important to me that I take her to areas where she can see some gorgeous views and covered bridges. However, she would also enjoy looking at some interesting little towns. We will be there from October 11 - October 16 and are staying in Ludlow. Do you have any suggestions of places to go in an approximate 1 hour radius from Ludlow? Since she can't walk long distances, I was wondering about any guided bus/train/van tours. Thanks!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Where to Visit

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi foliagefan and welcome to the best forum for everything Vermont!

Take your family to the Green Mountain Sugarhouse in Ludlow!

http://www.gmsh.com/

They have wonderful gifts and clothing and syrup! Treat yourself to their famous maple creemees! Try one!

Chester is a wonderful town. There is a great bookstore and a very old graveyard near the gazebo. Nice restaurants and good walking all around the green. I was just there last weekend. You can continue down the road (route 103) for a short while and go to the Vermont Country Store in Rockingham. It is full of everything you can imagine that has to do with Vermont! Everyone will love it!

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/

foliagefan

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:24 pm

Thank you all for the responses; those all sound like fantastic options and we can't wait to check them out!

pwt54

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:54 am

Normally, I would say you will be late for peak color, but foliage season is running a little late this year. Color in the highlands might be late and route 100 may not be great above route US 4. If you have problems finding color in the Ludlow area, head west on route 103. That will put you in the Champlain Valley. If you can pick up route 140 in East Wallingford and drive that to the end in Poultney, you will have a nice paved country ride with good foliage. Then take route 30 south to Manchester. There you can take route 30 east to route 100 north in Londonderry and rt 100 to Ludlow. If your getting tired, just take route 7A and rt US 7 north back to Wallingford.