help where do we go

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

kovalcikl

help where do we go

Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:08 am

I'm new to this forum, but hope to get some help. I'm from Texas, where we don't see fall foliage. My daughter and I traveled to Maine, Mass. and Conneticut two years ago, and missed it!
My husband and I are flying into Burlinton on the 6th and flying out the twelth. He wants to go to Maine the 8,9th to see the coast. Our plan was to travel towards southern vermont and stay in that area on the 6th and 7th- on to camden for the 8,9th and back to the burlington area for the 10, and 11th? Do you guys think we'll see the foliage? If so, where's the best places? Should we reroute our trip- or doest that itinerary sound ok? Where in southern vermont is a good place to stay and where in the burlington area? I love the quaint towns, i want to see covered bridges, apple orchards,but mostly color, color, color! Any suggestions? I don't want to miss it again....

pwt54

Re: help where do we go

Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:46 am

Wow. Okay, from Burlington,Vt. I'd take I-89 to exit 7 in Berlin and take that road, route 62, to Main street in Barre. Turn right on Main Street. You are now on route US 302. Take route US 302 east to Woodsville, NH. About 2 mile past Woodsville on rt. US 302 look for route 112 east. Take route 112 east ( on the Kancamagus Highway) to Conway, NH. where you pick up route US 302 again. Continue route US 302 to Portland and then north to Camden. Then you want to get to the Route US 4 corridor in Vermont and stay in Woodstock, Killington or Rutland. You should have good color there or a little farther south and you'll still be close enough to Burlington to make your flight. Probably the quickest way to route US 4 is to head south to Portsmouth, NH. and take route US 4 west to I-93 south. Take I-93 south to the Jct. of I-89. Because I-89 starts there, there is only one way to go and that is to Vermont. In Vermont get off at exit 1 for Woodstock. There is a covered bridge in Quechee Village, one in Taftsville between Quechee and Woodstock, one in Woodstock village, and one on route US 4 in West Woodstock. Best place for apple orchards is northwest of Rutland in the town of Shoreham. There are some nice ones on route 74 west of Shoreham village heading toward the Ferry to NY. State. There is a nice orchard on Dorset Street in South Burlington and 2 on South Street on South Hero Island north of Burlington. There are a lot of motels west of the Airport on Route US 2. Best Western, Comfort, Clarion, Anchorage, Holiday Inn and Sheraton.

kovalcikl

Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:00 pm

Thanks! We had planned to stay in the southern part of vt the first two nights and then on to camden. Do you think we'll see foliage there? Or should we plan to stay the first two nights in the northern part of vt. first?

pwt54

Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:12 pm

Southern Vermont would be better. Do my route backwards. That should get you back to Burlington in good shape.

kovalcikl

Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:22 pm

Thanks so much! I appreciate your information and details! A*UR!