Minnesotaman: Rockingham Meeting House! Beautiful! Thanks for the tip!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Minnesotaman: Rockingham Meeting House! Beautiful! Thanks for the tip!

Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi all and thanks to Minnesotaman for recommending a stop at the Rockingham Meeting House, a national historic landmark off of 103 in Rockingham. It is the oldest public building in Vermont in a condition closest to its original state. The surrounding burial ground contains over 1000 graves, the oldest dating from around 1776, with some of the finest gravestone art found in New England.

What a find! A beautiful setting on top of a hill with the graveyard facing a unobstructed view north of some mountains. The structure is all white and immaculately kept with 20 over 20 windows! I have never seen that before. It is one of its distinguishing features. I am so happy we stopped. Inside was even more amazing! The woodwork was stunning. I got a shot of the hills from inside one of the 20/20 windows near the pulpit. I felt like I was in another century. The old, musky smells and walking around the "pig pen" box pews was like a step back in time. Wow. I can't stop thinking about that place.

The only person there was the caretaker. The entry is so inviting and the brochures are available to all. This was my favorite part of today's journey indeed!

Vermont State of Historic Preservation at its best! Kudos to the town of Rockingham for keeping up this historic landmark. I think the Annual Pilgrim Celebration is held here as part of Rockingham's Old Home Days and I intend to be there!

Thanks again Minnesotaman for sending me to this lovely site. It was a picture perfect day and I loved every minute I was there. This shows how important it is for all of us to share our experiences on this forum so we can find new places to explore and enjoy.

I have been to so many places in Vermont and it never ceases to amaze me of all the new discoveries I make on each journey throughout the state! :D

Here are his directions from his last post:

"To get to the Rockingham Meeting House take 103 west at exit 6 on 91. Take a left at Meeting House Road, which is easy to miss. Meeting House Road is quite short, and actually loops back to 103. The meeting house is about half way down the road, on the north side. The graveyard is on the north side of the Meeting House. The Meeting House and the graveyard are substantially elevated above 103, and 103 is not visible from the graveyard. The view from the graveyard is unobstructed to the north."

Here is the brochure with some gorgeous photos!

http://www.rockbf.org/vertical/Sites/%7 ... EEA%7D.PDF
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

minnesotaman

Re: Minnesotaman: Rockingham Meeting House! Beautiful! Thanks for the tip!

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:29 pm

Good to hear that you liked it. When the hills to the north are at peak it is a great place.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:32 am

Hi Minn: When do you get to Vermont? I know you have a month here but I would start north! Again, thanks for the tip on the meeting house and look forward to other spots similar to this one as I'll be back up Columbus Day Weekend. Enjoy your trip and maybe you can meet with the gang at some point before October 5th....

minnesotaman

Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Here now. I usually head up to the franconia area and north about now. From a post from today that i saw here it still seems a bit early up there, unlike last year. I will probably try the kanc or the Connecticut lakes up near the border in the next day or two.