Today in VT: Bennington, Arlington, Shaftsbury, Sandgate! Blissful!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Today in VT: Bennington, Arlington, Shaftsbury, Sandgate! Blissful!

Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Hello foliage gang! Just got back from a 10 hour day trip to SW VT. What a day! I must preface this post by saying Mass Pike 90 West is really a beautiful drive and promises once again to be lovely this autumn to SW VT. The drive up route 7 through Williamstown was gorgeous and this has been one of my favorite long view spots in fall. We picked up route 346 at Pownal to N. Pownal and took North Pownal Road to Carpenter Hill Road in Bennington. This has always been a great drive and at the crest to the west is a phenomenal view of the mountains through a notch, great long view. The orchards are bursting with apples and to the east is the beautiful view of the Bennington Monument. I highly suggest this road if this is one of your intended visits to Bennington. I just had to stop at The Apple Barn where I dropped a few bucks at the bakery! Wow, just love this place! All decorated for autumn and got my adrenaline started big time for the arrival of fall and my upcoming trip!

After piling the goods into the car and upon the employees' suggestion, we headed to breakfast at Poppa Pete's in downtown Bennington. Amazing! Please stop here for breakfast or lunch! A true local hangout!

Then off to the Chiselville Bridge via beautiful route 7a through Shaftsbury. We got lots of great photos of the bridge and then headed to the West Arlington Bridge. Such a lovely hamlet here and lots of kayakers down the Battenkill. I got down into the river via some rocks for a great photo with a kayaker coming underneath. There is a nice road that I would love to take some day just at this intersection called the Sandgate Road. Has anyone taken it? It heads northeast off route 313 west after the West Arlington Bridge and looks like it becomes a seasonal road before entering Manchester.

Time to head home we took route 7 to 9 east which presented emerging colors! So exciting! That is my next post! Stay tuned! Another amazing weather day in the great state of Vermont! Just love this corner of the state and hope to get back up when the color turns! CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot