Shaftsbury - what to do?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

skymaster4cz

Shaftsbury - what to do?

Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:44 pm

Howdy, <P>First off...GREAT website. I expected something like this to be unkept. I'm extremely impressed.<P>Secondly, a couple of friends and I are visiting a horse farm in Shaftsbury to do some riding over Columbus day weekend. We're flying into a little airport so we won't have a car there. What's there to do in Shaftsbury that is fun and relaxing and involves foliage? Is there a good taxi service? Hiking? Any help you can provide would be great.<P>Thanks!

svmoderator

Re: Shaftsbury - what to do?

Mon Oct 02, 2000 9:38 am

Hi, Skymaster, it looks like you'll be about halfway between Bennington and Arlington on Rte. 7A. This is not one of my frequented spots, so I'm fairly clueless myself, but...log onto <A HREF="http://www.sovermont.com" TARGET=_blank>www.sovermont.com</A> or call tollfree 1-877-768-3766. This is the SoVermont Regional Marketing Organization, and their web site also lists Chambers of Commerce in the area, plus lots of attractions, events, resources, etc. You will be near Lake Shaftsbury State Park, which may present an opportunity for hiking, log onto <A HREF="http://www.vtstateparks.com" TARGET=_blank>www.vtstateparks.com</A> to learn more about this particular park. Hope this helps!Susanne

skymaster4cz

Mon Oct 02, 2000 11:20 am

Thanks for the reply, Susanne! I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how Shaftsbury is!<BR>

Geri

Tue Oct 03, 2000 3:16 pm

If there is a place to rent bicycles in Bennington, Route 9 to Wilmington is a gorgeous ride. Bennington is a relatively large town with excellent eats. If you can get a little further North to Rupert, take a hike at the Merck Forest off of Route 313. There are numerous walking paths and trails that meander through farmland, meadows, and up small mountains. It is gorgeous. If you can rent mountain bikes, take the trails/gravel roads to Somerset Resevoir. Also, Mt. Snow has a mountain biking center.