Planning First Fall Foliage Trip 2015

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

cuti1999

Planning First Fall Foliage Trip 2015

Mon May 11, 2015 5:12 pm

My fiance and I are planning our first fall foliage trip to Vermont this year. We will be there October 3-7 for foliage hunting, and heading to Montreal Oct 8-9 to visit a friend.

We stumbled upon this wonderful website while searching for where to find foliage peak, barns, farms, covered bridges, streams, water falls, scenic drives, etc. There is so much helpful information. We've been reading and copying/pasting like crazy :).

We haven't finalized reservations but will do so very soon. We thought about flying into and out of Burlington. We have a choice of getting a timeshare condo in either Smugglers' Notch or Killington, and use it as a base and make day trips (in a mid-size SUV) to Stowe, NEK, Woodstock, Ruthland, White Mountains (Kanc Hwy), etc.

Should we choose Smugglers' Notch or Killington as our base for day trips? We seem to favor Smugglers' Notch, but if Oct 3-7 is past peak then it would not do us any good as we would have to travel south to "chase" foliage. Correct?

Thanks!
Jackie

pwt54

Re: Planning First Fall Foliage Trip 2015

Tue May 12, 2015 8:13 am

For Oct 3-7, I would stay in Killington. Peak color should be starting there. I would drive around north of the Killington area first and end your tour south of Killington last.
There is a covered bridge beside route 100 in Pittsfield and one on Main Street in Warren Village, off route 100. Route 100 is the most favorite road for foliage. Foliage should be good up to route 15 in Morrisville.
Most covered bridges are off the main roads. Directions can be complicated and I'm only on my second cup of coffee, so I'l get back to you later. :D

autzig

Tue May 12, 2015 10:51 am

Phil (PWT) is the expert on this forum so you can rely on his advice.

That said, I personally like Stowe. It is relatively close to the Northeast Kingdom and highway 100 from Waterbury and points south. It does have some traffic issues, especially south of Stowe to Interstate 89 but Ben and Jerry's is there. It is worth the traffic. (Unlike many of the members of this forum, I am not a Vermonter and I don't take Ben and Jerry's for granted.)

One of the reasons Vermont is so well known for its fall foliage is the mountains. When the tops are at peak, the lower elevations will be approaching peak and when mountain tops are past peak, the mountainsides will be at peak. What's more, peak color varies with the Northeast Kingdom peaking first and the Champlain Valley last so you can almost always find color somewhere. I've only been to Vermont once where the I didn't find good color. It was just one of those years when color didn't materialize. Usually though, there is good color somewhere.

One thing to remember if you are flying into Burlington; rental cars are hard to find during the foliage season. Make reservations soon. In fact, reserve your rental car before your plane. If you can't get a rental car in Burlington, Boston is the next best option. Don't delay with your room reservations either. Everything is full in early October.

Al

Utah Baker

Tue May 12, 2015 9:48 pm

All very good advice, and I'll throw my two cents in! Having stayed both places, and they both are beautiful I'd probably opt for Killingtom, given its central location and ease of going north, south, east of west. I do like Stowe very much, but if you are staying at Smugglers Motch Resort you are a good drive up and down the Mtn. and thru the notch each day,just to get to Stowe and that can get old. Another option to fly into is Manchester, NH. Have done that several times as well as Burlington , it can usually be less expensive for me. Happy planning!

cuti1999

Tue May 12, 2015 11:45 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestions. We will explore other airports and book lodging and rental car early.
Jackie

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed May 13, 2015 5:31 pm

Welcome to the SOV Foliage Forum cuti1999! You'll get the "best of the best" advice only on this forum from experienced Vermont foliage fanatics - flatlanders and locals alike!

We are just about 4 1/2 months away now from the very early start of the foliage season in northern Vermont. Can you believe it? Today in NEngland felt like fall after two days of August weather and we are expecting frosts in some of the higher elevations!

Have you thought about securing your lodging soon? A lot of the larger resorts and ski condos have many openings, but if you are thinking of a bed and breakfast, I would act soon. My B&B is practically booked up for the prime weekends in late September thru mid-October. Also, each year, I am noticing more VT autumn destination weddings tapping the entire B&B for rooms for their guests. If this is the type of lodging you prefer, start booking soon.

Again, welcome to the forum and hope you continue to ask questions for your upcoming trip which is sure to be splendid!

Vermont rocks! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot