SOV 2015 George Camp Reunion **Updated Info**

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

autzig

Re: SOV 2015 Geore Camp Reunion

Wed May 13, 2015 10:18 am

For any of you wanting to photograph the Milky Way with us, there is good news. The sun sets at 6:26 PM on October 3. While the moon will be about 60% visible, it doesn't rise until 10:50 PM that night, so the sky will be moonless until then. Astronomical twilight ends at 8:03 PM. That means that the there will be no scattering of sunlight anywhere in the atmosphere so the skies will be completely dark (except for light pollution). The galactic center of the Milky Way (the brightest spot) will be visible from 8:03 PM until 9:39 PM.

The bottom line is that, so long as we have a clear sky, we should get some really good photos of the star filled sky with the Milky Way being the star of the show.

Be sure to read my article on photographing the night sky before the arrive. You can find it at http://www.goldimagesphoto.com/Nightscapes

Here is an example of what you might capture: http://www.goldimagesphoto.com/Portfoli ... /i-DT4dk4Q. I made this photo early in October 2013 in northern Wisconsin.

Al

ixl

Wed May 13, 2015 3:03 pm

Hey all.. I will do my best to be there but I have no idea what my plans are at this point. I have not taken a fall trip in 3 years now so my priority will be finding a good place with good color and weather but will do my best to be there for this reunion.

Al, gorgeous shots in that set! I've never gotten Milky Way shots that detailed before.

I know! We should all camp overnight at the Lewis Pond Overlook like I did back in 2012. :) Maybe get a view like this when the moon rises!

Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed May 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Seriously Charles, I would love to wake up to a "once in a lifetime" scene like this but, I’m far from the camping candidate! :mrgreen: (And you know me well enough! :wink: ) It sounds fun, waking up to a sky full of stars over all those cascading mountains and then to a magical sunrise. HOWEVER........ I prefer my amenities. :lol:

Ahhhhhhh, that down featherbed, climate-controlled heat, gas fireplace in my room, four-course breakfast, shower massage, Jacuzzi tub and no wild animals lurking about the tent, or creepy, crawly bugs wiggling in the sleeping bag. Waking up sweaty and yucky? Yikes! Blah! :shock: (I'm such a party pooper). :roll:

Love my B&B…… LOL! Hoping to see you all soon! Yours truly.............
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ixl

Thu May 14, 2015 2:49 pm

Yes, I sort of expected that response from you, CT. :)

I sleep in my car so no crawly bags or wild animals to worry about. It is not exactly luxurious, however. :)

Maybe we could compromise and have a late night or early morning... it won't kill you! I promise!
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: SOV 2015 George Camp Reunion **Updated Info**

Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:23 am

Carol: thanks for the update! It's going to be a beautiful memorial and George will be shining down upon us. I just know it! It couldn't be a better place for beauty, serenity and solitude, and the photos that you and Charles have captured in 2012 speak for themselves. A special day for all of us for sure. Just wishing George could be with us but I know he will be there in spirit. I think about him a lot. How could someone so young and kind and full of passion for life be taken away so early.... I look at his photos when we were in NH and at your Barton reunion, and just can't believe he's not here......

I'm very happy to share this day with those who not only knew our GIC (George) and others who may join us, but to be in this gorgeous setting with everyone will be the icing on the cake! :)