Trip Report (Oct 10 - 12), with photos!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ct999

Trip Report (Oct 10 - 12), with photos!

Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Hello everyone!

Foreword: I've been 6-year reader of this forum, greatly relying on the awesome advice but essentially never posting :-( Having sadly not gone on my annual foliage drive the past 2 years due to work, I just had to go this year. I live in Providence, RI.

I've only gone through a few of my pics, but in attempt to quickly provide my experiences/advice for travel, I'm submitting it now.

Journey:
Oct 10 (Fri):
I drove from Rhode Island up to Lincoln, NH (took the scenic route of Rte 3 to include Laconia, Meredith, Ashland):

Decent foliage but highway too big for any picturesque setting. Took Route 49 East a bit and the Pemigewasset River looked amazing:

Camped in Lincoln/North Woodstock NH off 112.

Oct 11 (Sat):
Did the typical Kancamagus loop, including Bear Notch Rd.

Went down to the river that runs along Kanc.:

Went to Sabbaday Falls (last time I went in '11, I tragically saw someone die in the waterfall, so this was a humbling experience to revisit it).

Upon driving back to Woodstock, NH to camp, saw sunset at the Rt 302 / Highway 93 junction:

At my campsite, I took some shots:

Oct 12 (Sun):
Now, my favorite part -- Vermont!

Drove on 112 West towards Brook Road:

Drove down Brook Rd towards Cloudland Road, via Vershire Center Rd (loop on Darling Hill back road) and Howe Hill, which were the BEST roads!

From Cloudland Road, I went down to Jenne Farm via Route 106:

From Jenne Farm, drove to Cornish-Windsor Bridge via Route 44:

Then drove home to Providence, RI. Back to school now! Can't wait to look through the rest of the pics (panoramas, too) and video.

Thanks everyone for the tips over the years. I'm finally giving back, haha.
Last edited by ct999 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From_the_NEK

Re: Trip Report (Oct 10 - 12), with photos!

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:54 pm

Great shots! I love your use of the sun in several of you pictures.

kcflanders

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Really nice photos. Love the sun stars and the milky way. About what time was the Sleepy Hollow photo on Cloudland? Do you have one of the Jenne Farm as well?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Wow! These are super photos! I truly enjoyed each and every one of them. You certainly had a great visit too!

I'm so glad you posted and are now a contributing member of the SOV Foliage Forum. Welcome and please come back here next autumn! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ct999

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:09 pm

From_the_NEK -- Thanks! Yea, each shot is deliberate, but I didn't quite realize how often I include the sun in the shot :-)

kcflanders -- Thanks! Haha, I assume you're talking about the one w/ the big, hunched over tree on the left-side of the road, lol. The image's EXIF data says it was 2:30pm, and the others were around 1pm. Yea, Jenne Farm is the 3rd-to-last pic. It's not too good, but oh well (very harsh lighting, extreme sun when I was there)... pretty in real life though!

ctyanky -- Gracias! Will do!

abhi

Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:01 pm

Looks like you had a great trip, very nice photos!