New England trip: Sept 25 - Oct 2

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Rob

New England trip: Sept 25 - Oct 2

Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:19 am

Greetings from the West,

First off, I agree with an earlier posting that this forum has been the most helpful. Kudos!

I am very eager to experience the New England Autumn Experience. The only type of foliage I've seen is that of the quaking aspens in the Rockies & Sierras. Of course, the maples & gingkos artificially introduced into the San Francisco Bay Area don't count. I have always wanted to see the Southwestern deserts bloom in spring & the New England forests in fall - looks like these dreams are coming true all in the same year!

Although the highlight is to see the amazing colors, I'd like to see a little bit of the Atlantic coast in Maine too (Arcadia NP?). I wonder if you guys can suggest a nice loop route that begins in NYC & focuses on Vermont & Maine. I figure since I'll probably not catch any color near the coast, I may as well do the mountains during the later part of the trip for maximum high elevation glory.

I'm slightly worried as all foliage reports I have read so far indicate that there is very little color to be had at the moment & I'll be there late next week!

Looking forward to hearing your comments. Thanks a bunch

pwt54

Re: New England trip: Sept 25 - Oct 2

Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:55 am

I agree with BM. Do the Maine Coast first. From NYC take I-95 to which ever area you wish in Maine. I wouldn't go too far above Portland, Maine, however. Pick up route 302 west in Portland and drive that to Conway, NH. and pick up route 112 west there and take that to route 302 again in Woodsville,NH. Turn left and continue route 302 west to I-91 north in Wells River,VT. Take I-91 north to exit 21 in St. Johnsbury and turn right at the end of the ramp and try the Fairbanks Inn first. The Comfort Inn is very nice but is a suites only motel. If they are full, they may be able to tell you if there are any rooms elsewhere. Peak foliage should be right in that area and a little north. I recommend driving route 5A from West Burke to Lake Willoughby. There should be good colors and Lake Willoughby is worth the look. Pick up route 58 west 2 miles above the lake and drive to the JCT. of route 14 north in Irasburg and turn right. In about a mile you will see route 58 west again on the left. Drive route 58 west to route 100 south in Lowell,Vt. There are some great views on that section and colors should still be good. Drive route 100 south to Stowe,Vt and find a room.

Rob

Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:11 am

Hello there,

Many thanks for the advice. I guess I can switch course if I find myself taking too long to get to Acadia & just head straight to the White Mountains of NH & Green Mountains of VT. Sounds like a plan!

I'll keep reading the postings till I leave so I'll learn of any not-to-be-missed spots.

Thanks again,
Rob

pwt54

Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:44 am

It all depends on the dates you are here. The best foliage will be gone by around the first week of October up north. What timeline are you talking about?

pwt54

Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:47 am

OOPs, I have completely recovered from the Fair, I guess. That timeline is alright for northern Vt. and NH. Go ahead to Acadia. Then go to Bangor and pick up route US 2 west to Gorham,NH. Then take route 16 south to Conway,NH and route 112 west.