Wretched Rain Event Sat - low wind - how will leaves fare???

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Re: Wretched Rain Event Sat - low wind - how will leaves far

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:46 am

It's easy to explain.. in fact I predicted it two weeks ago.

We had a cold early September, which was the right timing for areas that normally turn in late September or early August. Since then we have had NO below-average temperatures -- at all. It's October 8 and I still have tomato plants growing, with no temps below 32F even in our forecast for another week. This is highly abnormal. The early cold shot turned some of the trees but the rest are just sort of... drifting away.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Charles: You nailed it on the head weeks ago. You are a keen observer and I follow your advice. You are there living each and every season and I had a feeling this would play out and mentioned it in another post. I don't think your observations were negative at all - you saw it and called it and I think your honesty is commendable.

It has been like late summer here lately and folks are even sunbathing in the warm sun. It is the weirdest autumn ever. We haven't moved past 50% change in days. It sometimes feels like we are regressing! :shock: Very greenish still, we need a frost or something to get our colors moving but the trees are still intact with full canopies. Extremely low or non-existent leaf drop despite the winds and rains we have had.

I don't think we have a split season down here, just haven't progressed. Normally Columbus Day Weekend is really popping but I have to go to the NW to see the color this weekend. I'm hoping the cold weather comes soon (NOT snow). My grass is growing nice and green and I probably can still work on my tan! :roll:

Fallleafechidna

Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:14 am

ctyanky wrote:Charles: You nailed it on the head weeks ago. You are a keen observer and I follow your advice. You are there living each and every season and I had a feeling this would play out and mentioned it in another post. I don't think your observations were negative at all - you saw it and called it and I think your honesty is commendable.

It has been like late summer here lately and folks are even sunbathing in the warm sun. It is the weirdest autumn ever. We haven't moved past 50% change in days. It sometimes feels like we are regressing! :shock: Very greenish still, we need a frost or something to get our colors moving but the trees are still intact with full canopies. Extremely low or non-existent leaf drop despite the winds and rains we have had.

I don't think we have a split season down here, just haven't progressed. Normally Columbus Day Weekend is really popping but I have to go to the NW to see the color this weekend. I'm hoping the cold weather comes soon (NOT snow). My grass is growing nice and green and I probably can still work on my tan! :roll:
Such a bizarre year. Way down in NW NJ here I see the color turning more by the hour! And yet it sounds like the parts up north that got stuck at green are getting greener :) . I think my backyard will be peak within 2 days, it's actually a bit mixed, with some of the trees more in the woods already just about peak and a few on the outside mixed or largely green. But overall the peak seems like in another 2 days and the normal would be 22nd-26th not the 12th! It's kinda crazy but my backyard down here now it more turned than what I saw from Bennington when I left (other than of course for a few patches in Bennington which were 100% fire glowing peak). NEK, what did turn fully, turned way early, like I'd say 4-5 days earlier than 2012.

The drought certainly has a lot to do with it. The cold snap combined with the 6th worst fall drought in recorded history here seems to be sending things early despite the fact that it turned summery warm for a bit and even again today. Today's warmth did seem to stall it out by another day though.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:05 am

I'm heading up today to the NW Corner of the state at the CT, NY and MA borders, and may venture over into Millerton, NY. I need to see some color! Green is the buzz word for the day here so far and change is spotty! My lawn has never looked better! :roll:

It was "frosty" up there last night so I may be in luck. I don't know when we are having our first real frost here in CT but I was told that when it comes, the colors will come on quickly and then go away just as fast! :( I normally chase the color from the north to the south to the shoreline but this year may be quite challenging.

I'll take what I can get and will enjoy my back roads home through the countryside of my own state as today is a top ten fall day! Enjoy! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:11 pm

I had a fabulous day just being out in the fresh, autumn air wayyyyyyyyyy up in the north west corner of Connecticut just 2 miles from NY state. Drove six hours straight and I'm exhausted! We are just nearing peak in the highest elevations up there with little or NO leaf drop and strong, strong vibrant colors emerging. I think if we get some colder weather the next two days, next week will be amazing and the following weekend the same. Strange though, I found more color in the lower elevations and valley and along the country roads. Just the opposite of what I would expect! :? :? :?

I had a yummy blueberry pancake breakfast with maple syrup from VT and sausage to start my day at the foliage festival which featured an amazing scarecrow contest from all the businesses. I covered a lot of territory and will be back up in the northern tiers tomorrow and Sunday to get my FIX! :lol:

A fantastic day and I'll post some "OFF TOPIC" road tours this weekend for those needing more peak colors in northern CT :mrgreen:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:28 pm

We are supposed to hit 80 degrees tomorrow inland Connecticut. :shock: All the windows are open, folks in shorts. Weird! :? Heavy rains and windy conditions for Thursday too. There goes some, most, all? of our leaves in the NW corner where we are now in peak. :cry: :cry: :cry:

The rest of the state should hold. I guess I'll focus on the NE corner now unless this forecast is a bust! :evil:

Carol: I will keep an eye out on the foliage Sunday in the Quiet Corner for you. I think you'll be ok! :|