Green Mountain gap roads/Waitsfield

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

minnesotaman

Green Mountain gap roads/Waitsfield

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Does anyone know the state of foliage on the Green Mountain gap roads, or in the Waitsfield area?

pwt54

Re: Green Mountain gap roads/Waitsfield

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:51 am

I drove up over route 17 from Waitsfield to Bristol. Colors were peaking from the Mad River Glen Ski Area to Jerusalem. Colors were early from there to route US 7. West of route US 7 the colors were just starting.

minnesotaman

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Mt Abraham Lincoln Gap Road 9 30.jpg
Mt Abraham Lincoln Gap Road 9 30.jpg (72.35 KiB) Viewed 10861 times
Thanks for these great suggestions. I have been stuck with the same old places in this area for years.

I decided to try the Lincoln, Appalachian, and Rochester/Bethel gap roads today. The weather was poor, except for a few minutes as I came down the western side of the Lincoln gap. From what I could see then, the color is very good. There is some leaf drop, maybe ten or fifteen percent. If there is some blue sky over the next three to four days these places will be outstanding.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Minnesota: great shot, wow the color is so amazing! Have you done the Roxbury Mtn. Road yet out of Warren? That is one of my favorite mountain drives!

minnesotaman

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:50 pm

I did not get to the Roxbury gap today, but I plan to do that in the next few days. The Rochester Bethel road looked very good, and since it is quite near to the Roxbury gap, my guess is that Roxbury is good too. I was not paying attention, and so I missed a turn on the Rochester Bethel road. What I ended up on was something called the Middle Hollow Road. Here I found some very good color, and some good angles, where Middle Hollow met a road marked as the Mountain Loop. I will go back in better light. Vermont is the land of Serendip.

Aspen

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:42 pm

Minnesotaman, beautiful picture of a view from the Lincoln Gap! Hope many traveling Scenic Route 100 may have the opportunity to experience driving some of the beautiful Gaps which are accessible from Route 100: Brandon Gap Route 73, Middlebury Gap Route 125, and Lincoln Gap Route 17. Highly recommend driving these gaps or at least one of them when driving on Route 100! People may make Round trip drives: drive from Route 100 on a specific Gap and return back to Route 100 on another of the three Gaps!
BM your suggestion of an awesome view in Jerusalem sounds great. When you have the opportunity, would you please copy and paste information pertaining to finding this beautiful area in Jerusalem to either the sticky post of Great Vermont Driving Routes or Most Scenic Views/Must See Spots for quick access so the information will not get lost over the years among posts spread out across the Foliage Forum.
Thanks Minnesotaman and BM for sharing and recommending these beautiful places.

Aspen