Could we have a split season?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Could we have a split season?

Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Northern areas are looking amazing based on reports and pictures. These areas all got cold weather at the right time to get them going, in early and mid September.

Since then it's been more like August than fall. And my reading of the long range forecasts shows continued above-average temperatures.

I think we may end up with a situation where the north and the high elevations get the only good color change this year. Hope I'm wrong, of course, but if we don't get some cold soon, I think much of southern New England is going to just have a "green - dull yellow - brown" season.

The color here in Bennington is ... weird. There are clumps of trees that are peak 2-3 weeks before they should be, and other areas are completely green. Definitely far from ideal as the colorful trees now will be sticks by our usual peak time in mid-October.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Utah Baker

Re: Could we have a split season?

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:14 pm

Watching our local weather last night, the weatherman indicated that the low that has been sitting over us bringin cool weather and rain, was going to switch places with the high that has been sitting over the east giving you the lovely warmer weather you've been enjoying starting next week. So hang on to your hats, you may be in for a change next week, what does our weather guru's think?

ixl

Re: Could we have a split season?

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:47 am

And... this seems to be exactly what is happening, unfortunately.

I'll have a chance to check out various parts of VT this weekend and will report in.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!