Weston vt

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Pats fan

Weston vt

Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:38 pm

I will be in weston vt on Saturday oct 4, any suggestions for where to drive for nice foliage pictures? Should the colors be close to peak. Thanks for any suggestions

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Weston vt

Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Pats fan! I apologize for not seeing this post and neglecting it! Sometimes these posts come on all at once and they get overlooked! Welcome to the forum!

If you are still coming on Saturday for your foliage drive, the town of Weston is beautiful! As I am not there this season, I do hope the others/locals will chime in soon as your day is fast approaching.

I think Mt. Holly area - route 103 - would be a lovely drive right about now. There is a town there that I always wanted to visit - Belmont near Star Lake - which I heard is beyond quaint and charming! You can get there by Maple Hill Road off road 155.

I'm relying on pwt for his opinion, but route 103, 155 and 140 to Wallingford should be nearing peak this weekend. You can drive down route 7 to Manchester and take 30 to Dorset. I love that little town and the Dorset Quarry is wonderful!!!!!

Maybe even take the toll road up Mt. Equinox which should be at full peak this weekend. I was there 2 weekends ago and it was just gorgeous!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3305

If you have changed your plans to another day, I hope you find this information somewhat valuable.

Again, sorry for the delay in response and welcome to the SOV Foliage Forum!

There is so many backroads around Weston I have to defer to others who may help you! Enjoy!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Pats fan

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely check them out. It looks like we will be going Sunday now, weather on Saturday isn't looking too good. I'm thinking 100 to 103 and down 7 will be a great drive and 7 goes all the way home to albany. The mt equinox drive sounds amazing, I wish we had more than one day. What is the Dorset quarry? I haven't been to Dorset before and I love checking out areas of vermont I haven't been to before.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:22 pm

It is home to America's oldest marble quarry. Phil (pwt) took me there one year and it is amazing! Check out the google images! Plus you will love the town of Dorset! Two old historic inns, a country store and a very cute, long and narrow town green. So picturesque! I hope you can get there!

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1093& ... %20vermont

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:23 am

Pats fan: Let us know how you make out today as I see you switched days from yesterday. There is also a huge quarry in Danby which Phil took bm and I to one year and the views off the top of the walls are crazy beautiful! That was my quarry year, I had never been to one! :P

Pats fan

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 pm

We had a great trip to weston. I wasn't able to make it dorset unfortunately, we were on our way home and my wife was too tired to stop. Weston was beautiful and so was manchester. The best color I saw was around manchester but nothing like some of the eye popping color I've seen from others on here.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:27 am

Glad you had so much fun and went on Sunday instead of Saturday! Next year, perhaps you can hit Dorset. Heading up to Danby and around there is beautiful!