Ricker Pond at Groton State Forest

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

faxmachineanthem

Ricker Pond at Groton State Forest

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:08 pm

I made a quick trip to Vermont this weekend and camped at Ricker Pond campground in Groton State Forest. The colors there are fantastic right now. Lots of reds. For fellow photographers, I wanted to share a potentially very nice and easily accessible sunrise spot. It's a little peninsula on the south end of Ricker Pond.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/44%C2 ... !1s0x0:0x0

There's a short trail that leads from the parking lot out onto the pensinsula. From there, you have great views to both the east, west, and north. I've found at many ponds you only get a good view in one direction, which can be frustrating depending on what the sun is doing. For the same reasons it probably works well as a sunset spot too.

By the way, you can also rent kayaks at the park office for use on the pond. That was quite enjoyable on a 70+ degree day!
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (19.58 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

Andy

Re: Ricker Pond at Groton State Forest

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Fax: I know exactly the peninsula you are talking about. I have a photograph of it from the shore. :-). Ricker Pond, if the light is right and the wind is right, will yield some wonderful reflection shot opportunities for the photographers out there.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .