Oct 2 Foliage tour of NEK

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

tropicalstorm

Oct 2 Foliage tour of NEK

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi everyone!

I came across this forum a few weeks ago while planning our Vermont trip and I've been amazed at the warmth and knowledge of people here. My wife and I will be driving from Boston to Stowe (accommodation at Stowehof Inn) on Oct 1 and returning on Oct 3. We plan to visit Waterbury, Montpelier and Burlington on Oct 1 and on Oct 3 before we leave, so the only time left for our foliage tour is on Oct 2.

We have a rough idea of where we intend to drive on Oct 2 and would really appreciate any suggestions or comments that people here might have (about foliage, feasibility, etc).

Stowe to Jeffersonville: Rt 108
Jeffersonville to Montgomery Center: Rt 109 and 118
Montgomery Center to Irasburg through Lowell: Rt 58 (Hazen's Notch)
Irasburg to Newport: Rt 14 / Rt 5
Newport to Lyndonville through Westmore: Rt 105 / Rt 5A
Lyndonville to St Johnsbury: Rt 5
St Johnsbury to Morrisville through Hardwick: Rt 2 / Rt 15
Morrisville to Stowe: Rt 100

I've plotted the route out on Google Maps and it's a 165 mile route which is supposed to take slightly more than 4 hours. We're planning for this to take the whole day as we'll be stopping along the way for breaks, food and photo-taking.

Thanks very much in advance! We're really looking forward to the foliage.

pwt54

Re: Oct 2 Foliage tour of NEK

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:13 am

It's a good drive. I'm not that fond of the Irasburg to Newport section. It does have color, but it's scattered. I prefer to drive route 58 all the way to route 5A in Westmore.
Eating places will be scarce, but when you reach route 100 in Lowell and it's near lunchtime. turn left and drive route 100 north a coupl of miles and you will see "Cajun's" on the left. Locals love the place.

tropicalstorm

Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:52 pm

Thanks!

How difficult/dangerous is it to drive through Smuggler's Notch? I'm a bit concerned as we have very little driving experience on small country roads, and we're planning to drive that road in the morning

tropicalstorm

Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks Phil and Carol! It's our first fall in New England so we're really looking forward to the foliage! :)