How far are places in vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

How far are places in vermont

Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:25 pm

Hello,<BR>We are a couple from chicago and are visiting <BR>vermont during oct 7 th weekend. We decided to stay in barton area. Now it looks like the north/north east VT would be past peak by then. Is it possible for us to do day trips from Barton to south vermont to get the best views ? <BR>Thanks<BR>skd<BR>ps: kudos to the moderator and all those who share their experiences. It's the best travel related message board we have ever come across.

svmoderator

Re: How far are places in vermont

Sat Sep 30, 2000 2:38 am

Wow, thanks, now you're giving me a challenge to live up to here...so here goes!In miles, Barton is north of St. Johnsbury by about 25-30 miles I would say, and St. Johnsbury is 70 miles north of the I-89 interchange, which hooks you up with the Rte. 4 corridor of Quechee-Woodstock, about as far south as you might have to go (or want to) to see more colors over Columbus weekend. So, you're looking at maybe two hours on I-91, including time to look around at the scenic vistas you'll encounter during the drive) to arrive at Rte. 4 (Exit #1 of I-89 north in Vermont from I-91). You'll be at Exit 25 of I-91 in Barton, and I-89 is at Exit 10 of I-91. This is just for a little mileage perspective, now I'll give you some scenic drives as alternatives. Also, once you arrive in Barton, your innkeepers will no doubt be able to advise you as to which of these choices they'd recommend based on the current color situation at that time.Anyway, if you choose this fairly obvious first recommendation, you'll be able to see the colors evolve as you drive south. On Rte. 4 in Quechee is the Quechee Gorge, a beautiful, nearly 200 ft. gorge with the Ottauquechee River at the bottom, lots of foliage surrounding it...hiking opportunities to the bottom of the Gorge. Then, on to Woodstock past the Taftsville covered bridge, also you could stop at Simon Pearce in Quechee--turn right at the flashing yellow light about a mile beyond the Gorge--for lunch, view the glassblowing and pottery operations, shop in the gift shop where the handblown glass and handmade pottery is featured. They'll give you a beeper if you have to wait for a table, then you can do your browsing while waiting and not waste time. Woodstock is a charming little town with lots of shopping and quaint-looking historic buildings, all along this route will be viewable foliage. If you do this, I'd suggest going back the way you came...I'd take you up Rte. 100 from Killington and on to Montpelier (State capitol) to Rte. 2 to St. Johnsbury, but I think you'd end up back at Barton the next morning, so part of that trip could be for another day.Alternative day-trip: Take I-91 to St. Johnsbury and get off at Rte. 2, take it over to Montpelier, the state capitol building is very scenic, nice to see, foliage all around, etc. From there, you could take I-89 north one exit to Exit 9, take Rte. 100B south to Rte. 100 and go to Waitsfield and the Mad River Valley. Here on Columbus weekend you can take chairlift rides at the famous "Ski It if You Can" Mad River Glen from 11 - 2:30 or at Sugarbush Resort 11 - 3:30. This will provide some spectacular views, especially from Sugarbush looking over the entire valley. Also a drive past Mad River up the Rte. 17 Appalachian Gap is very scenic. And a trip to the Warren Store in Warren Village is something not to miss if you get to this area. From there, ask how to get to the Roxbury Gap just east of Warren...near the top, stop and look over the valley and the peaks of Sugarbush on the other side...this is my own personal favorite Vermont view. I'll be there likely tomorrow and can report back as to local prognosis for the following weekend colors. Toodling around this valley will probably take most of the day, you could do a stop at Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, just off Exit 10 of I-89 on Rte. 100 as you head back, take Rte. 100 north and about a mile after you cross over the interstate, Ben & Jerry's will be on your left. Also Cold Hollow Cider Mill is worth a stop for their apple pie and cider. Then you can get back to Rte. 2 out of Montpelier at I-89 exit 8 for the quickest way home to Barton.Another day trip: I'm told the Champlain Islands hold color longer than other northern sections because of warmer weather around Lake Champlain. To take the most scenic route to Champlain from Barton, I would personally like to take a hitch north to Orleans, take Rte. 58 through Irasburg to Lowell, and then continue through Hazens Notch on Rte. 58 (if it hasn't been closed for the winter) to Montgomery Center. This is a beautiful drive, the Long Trail crosses the road at the Notch, and there's some opportunity for a little hike if you're so inclined. From Montgomery Center, you could detour up Rte. 242 to Jay Peak Ski Area if you wish a tram ride...or, continue west on Rte. 118 to East Berkshire, Rte. 105 through Enosburg Falls, Sheldon Jct. and East Highgate to Rte. 78 to Swanton. Here you can choose between going over to the islands, which is probably best, stay on Rte. 78 and you'll hook up with Rte. 2 that heads south through the islands and back to the mainland just north of Burlington at I-89 Exit 17 and at Rte. 7 as well. Or you can stay on the mainland and drive down along the shore. From where Rte. 2 re-enters the mainland, you'll probably want to go to Barton the fastest way, which is I-89 to Montpelier and RTe. 2 to St. Johnsbury, then north on I-91. If you have time, you ought to stop at the Burlington waterfront, and there are lots of restaurants to choose from if it's dinnertime by now, which it probably will be.These are three day-trips, you'll have to check local conditions with your innkeepers about the Hazens Notch/Champlain Islands foliage when you arrive next weekend, maybe someone else who reads this will have a current report next week as the date approaches. I'll let you know about the Mad River Valley after tomorrow, we should be able to figure out what a week will bring there...I'm hoping it will be spectacular Col. weekend, since we'll be at Sugarbush then ourselves.More later, Susanne

Sat Sep 30, 2000 10:00 am

Hi Susanne,<BR>Thank you very much for the info. Excellent !<BR>Skd4

Sat Sep 30, 2000 6:27 pm

Susanne:<P>What a great job you do in sharing Vermont with others! Your information has been very helpful to me. I am going to use some of the suggestions that you have made to those who have asked for information.<P>The Roxbury Gap view is my favorite, too. Every year we stay at the Inn at the Round Barn Farm in Waitsfield, go to Warren Store and eat out on the deck and take the Roxbury Gap road. Can hardly wait for next week!<P>One question. Is Route 2 under construction with traffic delays? I had been told it was. Am sure you would know and it would make me feel better to be sure. I like to keep moving. I go that way at times and then take an unpaved back road to Peacham. It is a beautiful drive. I am sure you know the name but I recently moved and cannot locate some of my Vermont material.<P>Again, thanks for you kindness and excellent help.<P>Kerry<P>

svmoderator

Sun Oct 01, 2000 6:23 pm

Kerry, I'm working on the Rte. 2 construction information, it wouldn't surprise me, we have quite a few construction sites this year; however, our road crews seem to work quickly and many a construction site is finished before I expect it, but I'm trying to find out for you from a reliable source. Should be able to do this during business hours tomorrow. Also don't know the name of the unpaved road to Peacham off the top of my head...I'll try to get this for you too, sometimes it's ok not to know the name, you can still find it when you get there because it looks familiar. All for now, I had another message drafted and aol logged me off, so I don't want to lose this one too. When is it that you leave for Vermont? Susanne

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:20 pm

Susanne:<P>Thanks. I really appreciate your help. <P>By the way, I found my information on the road to Peacham and it is Mountain Road. If you go up the hill from the Peacham Store, past the church, and turn right at the cemetery, you are on that road. You can take it to Rt. 2, a little over six miles, and it is a beautiful drive. It comes in at Route 2 where, if you went straight across, you would go to Cabot.<P>Mountain Road and Kelley Stand Road, from East Arlington to West Wardsboro, are two of my favorite packed dirt, back road drives if the foliage is right. <P>We are flying into Hartford Wednesday 11:00 and going straight up I-91 to Vermont. After a stop at the welcome center, we will probably take the back roads to Woodstock. Sure sounds as though it will be beautiful this year! We will be there two nights, Manchester three nights and Waitsfield two nights. <P>Thanks again, Susanne. I really appreciate a nice, thoughtful person like you. Cathi and I look forward to using some of your great suggestions to enjoy our annual Vermont visit to the fullest.<P>Kerry<BR>

svmoderator

Mon Oct 02, 2000 9:58 am

Kerry,I have checked with the St. Johnsbury Chamber of Commerce, and they do not know of any construction or delays on Rte. 2. They did mention some bridge work on Rte. 5 between St. Johnsbury and Barton, that has the bridge at one lane. There's a traffic light that regulates who gets to go next, and she said it doesn't cause a delay, plus the light is a "very fair" method, so no one minds, and it doesn't cause a delay. That's the most reliable information I can get...it seems to be accurate, coming from the Chamber in the area. If you wish to speak with them yourself, their number is 1-800-639-6379. Have a great Vermont visit, I'm sure you saw the new Welcome Center last year? I think it was open for foliage...I just got to see it a few weeks ago, thought it was wonderful!! Enjoy, the colors were still developing over the weekend, you should get to Waitsfield just about on time for the best views!Susanne