Lunar Eclipse 10/8/14

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

wxman1976

Lunar Eclipse 10/8/14

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:07 am

Good morning all!

Just a bit of information from NASA this morning:
"From the east coast of North America, totality begins at 6:25 am EDT. The Moon will be hanging low over the western horizon, probably swollen by the famous Moon illusion into a seemingly-giant red orb, briefly visible before daybreak. West-coast observers are even better positioned. The Moon will be high in the sky as totality slowly plays out between 3:25 am and 4:24 am PDT."

I can't remember a pairing of an eclipse with peak foliage. This could be a great opportunity for some rare pictures. Either that or pure LUNACY! This has been posted by me for the CRATER good of the forum! I hope you are not APOLLO'd at me for posting this, and no I'm not a GEMINI. MISSION Accomplished! Love all my friends here New and Old! :lol:
As my friend Joe Bastardi says…Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you've got!!

Anthony DeVito BS. Meteorology Lyndon State College, Lyndonville VT 1998

ixl

Re: Lunar Eclipse 10/8/14

Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:39 am

Thanks for the update. I thought we here were going to miss the eclipse entirely.

As many of you know I love doing moonlight photography and had planned to be out shooting around this time. The question is where to go in the 10/5-10/11 timeframe, as it seems the northern areas are going to be well past peak by then.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ixl

Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:25 am

Hey Carol,

I have to be in Burlington for a parents' weekend for my son who is now at UVM. They of course plan the thing on Columbus Day weekend, which isn't even peak for Burlington. ;) I wanted to find a place to shoot the week before that, but from the reports here everything is changing early, and so the places I was considering (Adirondacks, Eastern Townships, etc.) will all be past peak most likely. I shot the NEK extensively in 2012 and don't want to do that again.

I may have to go somewhere completely different and just make the trip to Burlington separately.

Milky Way -- I have shot it before, but only opportunistically, never tried to find it. My understanding is that it is best viewed in the summer -- I've never encountered it shooting foliage, and I am often up both late in the evening and early in the morning. You want the sky as dark as possible.

Given that summer is supposed to be best and you want no moon -- which is now -- I'd get out there now and look for it. I am not sure how much luck you will have at our northern clime at this time of year. Sorry not to be more helpful.

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ixl

Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Well, looks like my plans are changing again, lol. It's been that kind of year.

ixl

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:06 am

Carol, I just saw some pix taken at Acadia last night, Milky Way quite visible. You should be able to find it as well!

wxman1976

Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Carol, sounds like you are shooting for the stars this year!! Will you be driving a Ford Galaxy? :D
As my friend Joe Bastardi says…Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you've got!!

Anthony DeVito BS. Meteorology Lyndon State College, Lyndonville VT 1998