REDS! An indication of a red foliage season as well in VT?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

REDS! An indication of a red foliage season as well in VT?

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi foliage friends! I spent the day in the NW Hills of CT at high elevations! The predominant color appearing first is lots of reds scattered throughout the mountain ranges as I've never seen before! An outstanding fall day with blue, cloudless skies and a slight breeze in the 60's made for 100% visibility! Saw into 3 states from one of the overlooks at the summit. If this is any indication of what Vermont will have then I say we will have one heck of a stellar foliage season up there. Normally at this time, I see a lot of yellow and gold colors but red was the theme of the day! Could it be all the dry weather and abnormally cool temps so early on?

Anyways, I'm off to southern VT tomorrow and will probably see mostly green but I'm also going to do some comparisons of the appearance of the red maples in the higher elevations. Next weekend I'll be in the Berkshires - North Adams area and the Quabbin Reservoir area- things should be popping up on Mt. Greylock.

This day of fall perfection and the upcoming gorgeous week of weather have given me a bad case of fall foliage fever and I can't wait to cross the VT border tomorrow! Yippee! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

wxman1976

Re: REDS! An indication of a red foliage season as well in

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:35 am

20 Last night in Johnson VT! 29 in Bridgewater Mass. BRRRR. Looking like an awesome season!
As my friend Joe Bastardi says…Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you've got!!

Anthony DeVito BS. Meteorology Lyndon State College, Lyndonville VT 1998

From_the_NEK

Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:19 am

Reds are peaking in the highlands. I was in Island Pond yesterday and the reds were very strong. The sugar maples (usually bright orange) still have a lot of green and are maybe 30% changed.

Today I'm in the Barre/Montpelier area and the reds are nearing 100% and the sugar maples are 10-15%. It is windy today which is blowing off a lot of the dried up leaves that turned early which should make way for good color leaves to be more visible.

I'm predicting peak for N-NE VT late next week through next weekend barring any bad weather. The forecast looks dry and warm. Hopefully it isn't too hazy.

courtmel

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:41 pm

I just love this wonderful news! :D :D :D
autumn leaf

snowboarder

Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Me too! Maybe my timing is not that bad :lol:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:45 pm

It sounds to me like everyone will be smiling ear to ear with their Vermont foliage vacations this year!!!! Thanks NEK for the update! Your reports are so valuable to those folks coming up this week and weekend! :wink:

From_the_NEK

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Here are a couple of examples of the reds this year. It seems like the drier weather we've had this year (relative to the soakers we've had the last few years) has been kind to the leaves and the color is very uniform with very little splotchiness.

Island Pond:

Graniteville:

These are tight shots since the big panoramic shots are still kind of green.
However, on the drive back to the NEK from Barre this evening was getting VERY colorful along Route 2 in the Marshfield area. Anyone getting up to Owl's Head this week should be justly rewarded.

Note: There was very little color adjustment done to these pictures. That is the actual red! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:19 pm

OMG NEK! My heart skipped a beat with these REDS! :shock: Beautiful! I can't wait for more of your posts and photos! :)

exgem54

Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:32 pm

ct, today we saw hundreds and hundreds of red orange trees on rt 114--we're going to rt 232,at owls head tomorrow as well as rt 2

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Wentworth: route 2 in Marshfield should be gorgeous! let me know how it is tomorrow. That area is always super brilliant on the right side. I'm so happy for you that you are finding such beauty on your trip. Have a wonderful, blissful week! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:20 pm

It looks like the year of the REDS for sure. I noticed this a couple of weeks ago here in northern CT. It is coming to fruition for sure. I'm reading about it everywhere on different sites. I have been watching foliage in the NW hills here and keeping track of the colors each year, and the emergence of reds was glaring (so to speak)! Grab it while you can folks! :)