Where to camp in VT???

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

buckkitty

Where to camp in VT???

Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:08 am

Need some help please. Can anyone recommend a good place to camp in VT, where we can also see some good foliage? Seems that good camping is hard to find these days. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

ixl

Re: Where to camp in VT???

Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:24 am

The only place I have experience personally is at Grout Pond, off the Kelly Stand Road near Stratton. A lovely place with water-side camping, and shouldn't be too busy in the fall. --c

Check this out too: http://vtfpr.anr.state.vt.us/parks/
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:28 pm

Are you looking for primative, State campgrounds or Rv campgrounds?

buckkitty

Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:40 am

I'm looking for fairly primitive campgrounds, but with road access to the grounds. Don't mind hiking a bit to camp site, but would like car access at least nearby, oh...and definitely no RV's. From what I understand the National Forests as opposed to State Parks, have more primitive sites....correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a rookie here. It will be Oct 11/12, I have noticed some places close end of summer. Hoping for some good leaf peeping and some hiking!!!

Thanks to all who take the time to share their suggestions. Much appreciated.

pwt54

Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:16 am

You can camp almost anywhere in the Green Mountain National Forest and in most State forests. For the dates you mention, I would look to the southern Green Mt. Nat. Forest area. That is the Manchester District. If you type in Green Mountain National Forest in google, you should bring up their website and get some information. Their headquarters is on route 11 east of Manchester. Dress warm.