SW VT and suggestions for finding foliage

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Jacky CW

Re: SW VT and suggestions for finding foliage

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:39 am

Thank you very much mmvt, I will try route 7 and side-road as you suggest today.

deaner1971

Re: SW VT and suggestions for finding foliage

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:31 am

mmvt wrote:Well, Killington has lost a LOT of leaves! there are still pockets of color but also many bare trees..... Mendon and Rutland still have color.
We drove to Manchester for breakfast and found that route 7 still has a lot of color and very little leaf drop. I didn't get off of 7 to take photos today but would suggest the following towns/areas to explore: Tinmouth, Danby, Middletown Springs, Wells and Pawlet. Emerald Lake State Park looked nice as did the surrounding area.
After Manchester, we drove over route 11 to 100 North back to Killington. The higher elevations are definitely bare of most leaves but some of the lower elevations still have color. Weston Village was lovely today. There is some color in Ludlow and still some color on route 100 between Ludlow and route 4. I am guessing that 100A may still be nice as it's somewhat protected. The southern facing hills on route 4 look better than those facing north.
Where did you go for breakfast and did you get good shots at Emerald Lake? That place has always confounded me due to it being nestled in all those peaks. Wish I was there!