Where to see best foliage Oct. 9-10

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

LeafLover718

Where to see best foliage Oct. 9-10

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:28 pm

I had hoped to make it to Vermont this week to enjoy the beautiful weather and near-peak foliage across the state, but unfortunately, my wife was unable to get away from work this week, so I was stuck at home salivating over the pictures being posted!

The good news is that we will be able to make it next week, and plan to be in Vermont on Wednesday and Thursday (Oct. 9-10). We will be arriving from the White Mountains, so my original plan was to head up to the Stowe/Smugglers Notch area, and then work my way down 100 and then across 4 to Woodstock, and from there take 100A back to 100, down through Chester, Grafton, and Townshend, before making my way over to 91 for the ride home to NYC.

Now that many of those areas have already peaked this week and the weekend forecast looks rainy, is this still a good idea, or are many of these areas likely to lose their leaves in the next few days? Are there other parts of the state we should aim for instead that will be more colorful?

Note that I realize that this is a lot of driving, but my wife is in her 8th month and isn't up for most activities anyway, so we're just hoping to see as much of the highlights as we can in the limited time that we have. We may also be able to extend our time in Vermont by an extra day as well. And yes, we have lodging options with availability in the various parts of the state that we're interested in, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Thanks for this wonderful service that you provide to leaf lovers everywhere!

pwt54

Re: Where to see best foliage Oct. 9-10

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:14 am

If we get that big wind on Monday, I would skip Stowe and stay south of route US 4. The leaves up here are hanging on by a thread. The second half of your tour sounds good.