Oct 11-13 weekend

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

jtstx

Oct 11-13 weekend

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:49 am

Hey gang. First time poster here. Sorry to start a new thread and ask the same question everyone does but here goes. My girlfriend and I are coming up to VT from Texas next weekend (Oct 11-13) and curious if we'll miss all the action or if there will still be some colors left to see. Specifically, we're staying in Grafton and plan to stick to southern VT for driving and peeping (Brattleboro/Bennington/Manchester loop). I anticipate that "peak" will be past and that's fine but I just hope we don't show up to a sea of brown. Any suggestions based on the timing/area? I've read the other threads (particularly the "must see spots," "great driving routes" and "covered bridges" threads) and other suggested drives and hikes in the area online and guidebooks but would appreciate any additional input you guys have. Thanks in advance!

PS - if I find the perfect spot I plan to propose to my girlfriend that weekend as well, so if you guys have any good suggestions for that too I'm all ears. ;)

deaner1971

Re: Oct 11-13 weekend

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:33 pm

Finally, a subject on which I can opine.

OK, proposal spots:

1. Top of Mount Equinox. Website here: http://www.equinoxmountain.com/skylinedrive_index.php
2. Personal fave, the quarry in Dorset. Here is a photo of a couple for whom I took some photos. The weather/lighting was bad and I am NOT a portrait or wedding photographer so forgive the lack of quality, I don't really do the spot justice: http://deanchernandez.zenfolio.com/p452 ... #h1283a45b
3. The Southern Vermont Arts Center has a gorgeous view of the Battenkill Valley. You can see a bit of it here: http://deanchernandez.zenfolio.com/p935 ... #h116d9bb5
http://deanchernandez.zenfolio.com/p452 ... #h1fd47143
4. Equinox Pond, another favorite. This wedding photographer has nailed the beauty of the spot. Now imagine it with the hills alight with color: http://kristymayweddings.com/blog/2010/ ... al-dinner/
5. Back deck of the Equinox Resort. This is my favorite hotel in Manchester and the views from its back deck are wonderful. At night you lose the view but they do a great job of adding a romantic atmosphere:
Night http://www.equinoxresort.com/assets/ima ... re_Pit.jpg
Day http://m.travelocity.com/images/manches ... or_E_2.jpg

I love Bennington but I cannot think of a great locale for a proposal from a pure aesthetic point of view. I am sure there are some, I am just not familiar with them. Brattleboro I am utterly (sorry, that was a joke as they have a big cow parade thing) unfamiliar with. I am sure there are some gorgeous river front spots. The Manchester/Arlington area is my home away from home, hence my preference.

I suggested many spots that are photographically interesting and, therefore, pleasing to the eye (in my estimation). But, if you two share some specific interests, let me know and I can think of something. People are VERY accommodating so don't hesitate to ask for help from locals in your plotting the perfect moment. Want a roadside Santa to help out along Route 7A between Arlington and Manchester? I bet he will (http://deanchernandez.zenfolio.com/p452 ... #h1b6f52f5). It is a great place and you are going to love it. Please, let me know if I can help in any way (including directions to any of the above).

And Congrats!

Dean

pwt54

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Southern Vermont will have the best color at that time. The highlands along route 100 and route 9 may not have much color left. Stay in the lowlands between Springfield and Brattleboro in southeast VT and between Bennington and Rutland in southwest VT.

jtstx

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Wow, thanks guys! Appreciate the tips and all of the detailed recommendations and pics, Dean. Definitely giving me some ideas near the Manchester area. Was already considering the drive up Mt. Equinox so your suggestion solidifies that.

I'll be keeping up with the reports as next weekend approaches and I'll be sure to report back after!

Jay

deaner1971

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:01 am

If you end up in Manchester around breakfast, two recommendations:

Cafe Mamie (http://cafemamie.com/): Great food and wonderful people. This one is a breakfast/lunch/dinner option with great views. It is in the back of the Southern Vermont Art Center (whose back lawn was previously mentioned as a proposal spot) and here is another example of the view I mentioned before.

Chef MacFarlane is a wonderful person and, if you contact her, would be happy to help in any way. Her food is tremendous and all local sourced.

Up For Breakfast is also wonderful. Located just up the street from the traffic circle in the center of "town" ("Manchester is actually three villages but most people see it as one entity) it is up a steep set of stairs and is small but they turn over tables quickly so don't be put off if there is a wait. Wonderful food in large portions so, a great place if a day of hiking awaits you. To this point, you'll often seen young men and women eating who have obviously just stepped off the Long Trail for a warm meal.

If you want a relaxing dinner, Manchester Pizza House has very good pizza.

Need to catch a game (being so far from home during football season and all)? I recommend either of the Mulligan's locations (Stratton Mountain Resort or in Manchester just south of the Orvis flagship store between Orvis and the Equinox).

Finally (and my apologies for rambling on and on but, I do love my Southern Vermont), if you are in Bennington, try hitting Crazy Russian Girls Bakery (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crazy-Ru ... 0037865934. Their baked goods are incredible. I have been going for years and recommended them to the friends who got married in Manchester. Their wedding cakes are even better than are their baked goods (didn't think that was possible) and they have upped their game in decorating cakes as you can see from this picture:

OK, I'll shut up now... :oops:

deaner1971

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:08 am

Well, that self-imposed silence didn't last long...

One thing I forgot to mention is traffic concerns. From Manchester south to Arlington, you will run into some "heavy" traffic that weekend. That will be especially true of "downtown" Manchester as they usually have a sidewalk sale that weekend that attracts both tourists and locals. Added to the normally high volume of people due to foliage and you get some waits. Nothing comparable to even your average large city during a commute but a wait nonetheless.

You will also hit a slowdown when you drive south along the 7A when you get close to a large pumpkin patch near the entrance to Skyline Drive.

Again, nothing in comparison to most people's rush hour but, just a mention.

Jacky CW

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:39 am

Thanks for this thread, jtstx. I'd be in West Dover in Southern Vermont during 6-8 Oct and then move to Killington 8-10 Oct then go across border to Canada for my final destination in Niagara area (so far away).

Could someone suggest any beautiful ponds near West Dover for morning photography?

I'm not sure whether it is too late for Equinox Pond that is very beautiful.

deaner1971

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:42 pm

You should be fine if you want to hit Equinox Pond. It is at a relatively low elevation so should have good color then. I have never gotten an ideal morning shot there because of the way shadows fall from the nearby peaks but it is a great place to visit.

There are certain rules to parking there but I can walk you through them and give you directions to the pond (there is a great short cut that you can use by parking in the nearby neighborhood but only two public parking spots so you need to know exactly how to go about it).

I don't know any ponds close to Dover but, I believe that there is a cool one in Newfane (not too far away). Can someone confirm that?

Also, not a pond but I love the Scott Covered Bridge on the West River in the morning. http://deanchernandez.zenfolio.com/p935 ... #h18ecc38b

Both Newfane and the Scott Covered Bridge are off of 100 which runs near Dover. Also off of 100 is the village of Jamaica where there is a great coffee house and Jamaica State Park with has a great walk along a river on what used to be a logging rail line. 100 also gets you most of the way to and from Manchester (100 turns to 33 which turns to 11 as you near Manchester).

Jacky CW

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:33 pm

deaner1971 wrote:You should be fine if you want to hit Equinox Pond. It is at a relatively low elevation so should have good color then. I have never gotten an ideal morning shot there because of the way shadows fall from the nearby peaks but it is a great place to visit.

There are certain rules to parking there but I can walk you through them and give you directions to the pond (there is a great short cut that you can use by parking in the nearby neighborhood but only two public parking spots so you need to know exactly how to go about it).

I don't know any ponds close to Dover but, I believe that there is a cool one in Newfane (not too far away). Can someone confirm that?

Also, not a pond but I love the Scott Covered Bridge on the West River in the morning. http://deanchernandez.zenfolio.com/p935 ... #h18ecc38b

Both Newfane and the Scott Covered Bridge are off of 100 which runs near Dover. Also off of 100 is the village of Jamaica where there is a great coffee house and Jamaica State Park with has a great walk along a river on what used to be a logging rail line. 100 also gets you most of the way to and from Manchester (100 turns to 33 which turns to 11 as you near Manchester).
That is great suggestion, deaner1971. Thank you.

bvahjen

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:56 pm

All great suggestions, I would include driving up 11 from Manchester to Stratton on Route 30. Go up to Stratton and take the gondola ride to the top. Returning on route 30, stop and take in the view where you can see Bromley from the road. Favorite photo spot.

deaner1971

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:09 am

bvahjen wrote:All great suggestions, I would include driving up 11 from Manchester to Stratton on Route 30. Go up to Stratton and take the gondola ride to the top. Returning on route 30, stop and take in the view where you can see Bromley from the road. Favorite photo spot.
Great suggestions. The peak of Stratton Mountain itself has never been that appealing to me do to the wide expanses that are cleared (and usually muddy) for it real role as a ski locale. I also tend to get really hazy days shooting from up there (I also have the world's worst Vermont weather luck so, you might want to take my comments with a massive grain of salt). That being said, if you take the gondola to the top, right after you exit, walk down the mountain a ways and you will find a wooden observation deck. It is the best place to view the valley before you. Also, the walk through their Alpine village is also wonderful. Really makes you want to come back when there is snow on the ground.

I think I know the spot you are talking about on 30. There is a straightaway (believe me, not much of that road in straight between the 11/30 junction and Stratton so you will know what I mean) right after Old Town Road and Beaver Street as you are going north (back toward the junction of 11/30) and you can gingerly pull over to your right. There is an old wooden post and wire fence and typically a few cows meandering about the field. If you face parallel to your car (i.e. facing North), you will have a great view of Bromley.

If you want to do the reverse view, continue to 11/30 and turn right (Manchester is left and Bromley is right) and look for a pull over lane to the right (before Bromley Mountain). You'll have great morning and evening view of the valley. Not the best photography spot as there are problematic phone and power lines in your sight line but a very nice view nonetheless.

jtstx

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks again for the tips, guys. Still on track to arrive in Hartford Friday AM and we'll drive straight up. Was a little worried about the weather reports earlier this week but looks like southeast and southwest VT are still holding up pretty well. Very excited for this weekend!

deaner1971

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:04 am

Have a great trip!