PWT's first report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Rockwall Tim

Re: PWT's first report

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:22 pm

I would say - don't panic. In Vermont, you're an hour's drive from most places in the state. And, even if the foliage is past peak, there are places that hang on with their beautiful foliage.
II Cor. 4:17

pwt54

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:05 am

You will still have late foliage up there. More yellows than red and orange. If you can't change your lodging work on the views, scenery. There are covered bridges in Lyndonville. You mentioned the Stannard Mountain Road. It starts as the Wheelock Road off route US 5 in Lyndonville. It's a nice ride, but the colors at the higher elevations will be fading.
You could also try the area south of Lyndonville. Route US 5 south of St. Johnsbury, along the Connecticut River seems to turn color later than the surrounding hills. Colors south of Wells River, VT should be better.

AmyN

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:37 am

PWT54 thank you for the road selections.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful insight. This is our first trip to see fall foliage. We are very excited. I will continue to monitor the boards up to when we leave. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

pwt54

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:54 am

I like the late foliage also. I like driving a quiet country road that is surrounded by big yellow trees. When the sun shines through them, there is a warm yellow glow. The roads are covered with leaves. When the wind blows there is a flurry of leaves.
The stress of life is gone. The stress of the Red Sox in the playoffs will be harder to get rid of. If the Red Sox win their third World Series in a century, will the universe be able to handle the stress ? :shock: