PWT's first report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

PWT's first report

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:05 am

The foliage is coming. The change in the last week has been rapid. Last Saturday I did a ride in Northeastern Vermont. The colors were early, but widespread. Peak foliage should be starting this coming weekend up there. Route 100 between Johnson and Lowell was great. I also did the Pittsburg, NH area and that looked good.
Yesterday I did the Montpelier/ Waterbury area. The color was very early there. It won't be peak color until the weekend after next. The one exception is Route 12 between Morrisville and Worcester. That should be peak next weekend.
Right now it looks like the best color will be east of route 100 and north of route 15. However, route 100 does change color early, so you will find good color on route 100 south of Waterbury. You will find good color on the "Gap Roads. These are;
Route 17 between route 100 in Waitsfield and route 116 in Starksboro.
Route 125 between route 100 in Hancock and route 119 in East Middlebury.
Route 73 between route 100 in Rochester and route US 7 in Brandon.
In southern VT check out the highlands of route 100 and route 9. This area always turns color early.

AmyN

Re: PWT's first report

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:09 am

I saw in a different thread to pay attention to posts from PWT! I am hoping you can help provide some suggestions for our upcoming trip. We will be flying into Burlington VT on October 9th and we will fly out of Boston on October 15th. We are very interested in seeing fall foliage, covered bridges, farms, light houses, churches, places to take amazing photos. We have never been to the New England states. I would love some pointers/itineraries of places you would suggest that we see. We love to drive back roads off the beaten path. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. We are in good health and can leave the car to hike but don't want to spend hours hiking. Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

AmyN

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:07 pm

We are very late planning this trip and currently have not selected accommodations so we are really flexible at this point. Thanks for any help you can give

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Phil: thanks for the post! It's great to see you back on the forum sharing your expertise with us all, especially on the foliage!

The Lincoln Gap is a great ride too! Lincoln Gap is a beautiful, twisting, and steep drive, and right in the heart of the Green Mountains. You can get there from Route 100 in Warren or Route 116/17 in Bristol. Some parts of the road are still dirt if I recall. And some parts are VERY narrow. There is parking at the top with access to the Long Trail.

Love the LIncoln area! One of my favorites!

Amy: I hope you found your lodging today. It's really cutting it close. I am even wondering if there are rooms in the Mad River Valley. Call the Mad River Valley Chamber of Commerce. They have a running list of vacancies, even at the last minute due to cancellations! Don't delay and risk getting stuck somewhere you are not happy with lodging or location wise! Let us know how you make out.....

General Wait House - Route 100
P.O. Box 173
Waitsfield, VT 05673

1-800-82-VISIT (1-800-828-4748) or 802-496-3409

Rockwall Tim

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Amy: If you find that Vermont has "No Vacancy", I would suggest checking out New Hampshire...there are several almost-new Holiday Inn Express motels in various small towns. I've stayed in several of them and the service/quality is top-notch. And, you can drive to Vermont in less than an hour.

We're coming Oct 3rd and staying in a B & B in Sunapee, NH, just 20-25 minutes from the VT/NH border.
II Cor. 4:17

WXMAN76

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:05 am

Amy you may have better luck in the small towns. I used to stay in Woodsville NH a lot. it is on the CT river 5 minutes from Wells River VT. 1/2 hr to Littleton nh and St.J. Also an easy drive to Montpelier and white river junction. Easy access to
us 302 US 5 NH10 and 112 and I-91. No big hotel chains but it's a tiny town most people don't think about or even know about. There are a few places to stay there. Nootka lodge is nice if your looking for upscale. if you are like me and never in the room except for sleeping and showering, there are a few motels there as well. That area changes about 1 week after the
nek does. Places like Groton nearby offer awesome colors, usually same timing as nek

pwt54

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:27 am

Finding lodging on a day to day will be tricky and will take up valuable leaf-peeping time. The Burlington area may be a problem. The colleges may be having Homecoming days around that time. If not, then Burlington will have rooms. Get one for your whole vacation.
You might think about a condo at a ski area fo a long term stay. try the Killington, Okemo or Ascutney ski areas. That is where the best color will be at that time. Colors above route US 2 will be fading.

Jchphotog

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:01 am

I am a new to your forum but wondering very last minute - I have to go to Burlington at University of Vermont this weekend to catch my daughters soccer game coming from the south up 87 to perhaps 22 and then route 7 . . . Any must see spots in a limited time frame??
Thanks for any responses!!

AmyN

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 am

This is our itenerary and we have found rooms. Any suggestions on routes and must see locations would be appreciated.

October 9th fly into Burlington and drive to Woodstock. Staying night in woodstock
October 10th see Quechee Gorge. Drive to Lydonville. Staying night in Lydonville
October 11th drive thru White Mountains and end at Wolfeboro
October 12th thru the 15th we will head to the coast and spend some days seeing lighthouses.

I appreciate all the feedback and help planning what we should see. Again we are interested in back roads, fall foliage, covered bridges, churches, farms, places to take great pictures.

From_the_NEK

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:57 am

Amy. Unfortunately, by October 10, I think the foliage will be mostly gone in Lyndonville area and most of northern VT and NH. The foliage is running about a week early up this way. You may be better off staying in the more southern areas for you trip.

AmyN

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:10 am

This makes me sad that Lyndonville will already be almost done. Okay switching gears then. If we do day one in woodstock can someone suggest places to see in the lower part of the state? Would Wolfeboro still be a good spot?

pwt54

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:38 am

Lyndonville will be fading at that time, but Woodstock will be good as will Wolfsboro.
First lets do Woodstock. Instead of driving route US 4 to Quechee, take the River Road off route 12, just past the Billings Farm Museum. Drive that road to and through the Taftsville Covered Bridge and onto route US 4.
After you are done in Woodstock I would take I-89 over to New Hampshire. Route US 4 all built up in that area. Get off exit 17 in New Hampshire and take route US 4 toward Mascoma. Drive route US 4 to route 104 in Danbury. Drive route 104 east to route US 3 in Meredeth. Take route US 3 north to route 25 east. Take route 25 east to route 109 to Wolfsboro. Keep an eye on the foliage around Meredith, if it looks good, do the Ossipee area.

sharan

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:55 am

I am not going to stress but this is not good news for us.. :( We are staying Oct 7 and 8 near Lyndonville. Planned to drive Stannard Mountain Rd, Lake Willoughby and Jay Peak on the 7th and Burke Mountain on the 8th. I can't change my lodging. Should I change my plans and go south? Thank you all for all the good advice.

sharan

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Thank you MMVT. I'm not sure I've ever seen peak in any part of Vermont in the five times we have been there. I am pretty satisfied just seeing the beauty of the state even earlier or later than peak.
I will check in here often and see what reports you guys have. This is an awesome place!

autzig

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:52 pm

I've been to Vermont many times and the good thing about it is that it is relatively small so while you may not be staying in a location of peak color, it doesn't take long to find places where the color is great. Because the color tends to peak earlier at the mountain tops and later in the valleys, there can be good color in lower elevations even if it is past peak in the mountains. I've also found great color in more northern areas when it is past peak in the south.

To find the best locations, check back here often. The Vermonters on this board are continually on the look-out and give great reports.

Al