Lake Iroquois color?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Susan2004

Lake Iroquois color?

Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:41 pm

My husband and I are planning on staying in a cottage on Lake Iroquois near Hinesburg, VT October 8th - 10th. I know it may be too early to tell, but do you think we'll still be safe for peak that far north over Columbus Day weekend? I know in general it is supposed to be a good time to visit that area, but I'm wondering if things are turning early this year? I'm in upstate NY and we have some color here already which is very early!

pwt54

Re: Lake Iroquois color?

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:47 am

Peak should be close to that area. Hinesburg is in the Lake Champlain Valley and turns a little later than the rest of the State. Colors are a little early but not wide spread yet. Whenyou are ready to ride, go to Hinesburg village and drive south on route 116 until you come to route 17 east in Starksboro. Drive route 17 east to Waitsfield. Drive carefully. I call this road " Little Switzerland" because of all of the switchbacks and tight curves. It's a great ride with good colors and views. At the end of route 17 in Waitsfield, turn right on route 100 south. Drive that to route 125 west in Hancock. (You may want to turn off route 100 in Warren to get a bite to eat at the General Store and check out the covered bridge.) Take route 125 west to route US 7 south in East Middlebury. Take route US 7 south to Route 73 EAST(not west) in Brandon Village and drive route 73 East to route 100 north in Rochester. Turn left and drive route 100 north to route 17 and then route 17 west to route 116 and back home.

dkramer

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:26 am

That's a nice ride pwt...question..I have yet to do the Brandon Gap Road. How is that? I've traveled App Gap, Smugglers, Roxbury Gap without trouble, so unless it's considerably harder than those roads, I think I'd like to try it. Thanks.

Daniel

pwt54

Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:46 pm

Brandon Gap is an easier drive than the ones you've mentioned. Bethel Mountain road is a nice ride also. It starts in Rochester, Vt. at the village green and goes to route 12 in Bethel. It's paved and not hard to drive. Some good views at the top.

Susan2004

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:48 pm

Thanks for the information pwt. That sounds like a nice drive. I was planning on doing something similar to that when we visited Middlebury but it's nice to have someone familiar with the area give me more specific ideas of the most scenic way to go.

dkramer

Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:32 am

Thanks, bm. I've actually traveled up the Warren side of the Lincoln Gap as well. What's going down through Lincoln like in comparison? Lincoln Gap (at least on the Warren side) is very interesting and is completely different from its sister gap, the App Gap. I was there in the summer, though, and had a hard time getting good views of Mt. Abraham, etc., through the trees (not really complaining here...the forest canopy was impressive). Are there views down the other side? Thanks!

Daniel