Mid-late October...

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

jrsteinfield

Mid-late October...

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:53 am

We're coming up to Warren the weekend of October 18, and know that that's towards the end of the season. We'll spend more time in the Champlain Valley and then areas south, but wanted to see if anyone had any recommended drives or spots to hit that weekend to make sure we're catching the best of the tail end! Any tips in general for how to make the most of our time there would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Mid-late October...

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:43 pm

bm: I am wondering if you would agree for jr to take the Roxbury Gap/Mtn. Road out of Warren into Roxbury? Then drive down 12A/12 roads to explore the following areas: Brookfield, Chelsea, Randolph, Tunbridge, Northfield (all the bridges) and Strafford, etc. (not in that order). Would these towns have good color around that time? Then he can take Camp Brook/Bethel Mtn. Road back to 100?

Mr. Bumps: if you are out there this is your area! Hope you can chime in too! :wink:

jrsteinfield

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks - a ride along the lake looks great. Any updates would be great.

We think we might try to squeeze in a hike a bit north of Rutland, so any other recommendations for what should be great that weekend (10/18) in the central part of the state would be much appreciated!

WXMAN76

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:54 am

Don't see one on the horizon BM. Just some showers tonight with a cold front and a long stretch of sunny chlorophyll destroying weather!

Utah Baker

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Jr, that's about the same time we were there last year, and I know every year is different, but we found beautiful color both north, south and west of Rutland. If you want you can check out my post "trip photos" on page two, you can click on each photo and see the location. A fun day trip we took was over to take the ferry across Lake Champlain to Fort Ticondaroga(gasp...the ny side) nice views from the top of Mt. Defiance looking over the lake to Vermont. The white church with the golden leaves was in Sudbury, it was a beautiful drive out and back. Bennington also is another great day trip, getting off the main roads and weaving down thru Poultney, Wells, Dorset etc. And if you want to venture a little farther, take the road straight south from the Bennington Monument to Carpenter Hill road, fantastic. May seem like alot but really not bad, we were staying in Killington last year.

jrsteinfield

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:35 pm

BM - thanks for the generous offer to lay out some roads, that'd be great. We're thinking of taking this driving loop (http://bit.ly/165pRgp) on Saturday, which seems like a nice overview. But insider tips are most welcome!

Finally, we're looking for some nice hikes on Saturday/Sunday. In the region, Snake Mt. and Deer Leap Overlook jumped out at me, and in the southern part, Harmon Hill/Little Rock Pond Trail. Anyone else have some recommended hikes for that time of year?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:00 pm

I second Mt. Philo. bm took me there a few years ago. Wow! The view at the top of the valley is phenomenal!

jrsteinfield

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 pm

I saw a few forums that mentioned that some parks close Columbus Weekend. Any reason to believe any of the areas mentioned in this thread might actually be closed by Oct 18?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:23 pm

I just thought of something! You'll be around at the right time of the arrival of the snow geese at the Dead Creek Wildlife Management area in Addison! It is not far from your loop. I've missed it every year and you are right at prime time. Here is an older article on the arrival of snow geese at the preserve but it will explain what I mean! Don't miss it!

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs. ... FEATURES08