Driving Route near Calais

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Re: Driving Route near Calais

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks to both of you for the kind words and encouragement. :) Carol, I think your stuff is great too.. I still remember that reflection shot of Long Pond from last year (or was it Noyes?) which I tried to duplicate unsuccessfully. Ct, you are getting to be pretty good behind a camera yourself!

BTW if anyone sees a shot in my gallery and wants to know where it is, I have geotagging information for all of them.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

sharan

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:09 pm

Charles--I am not a photographer like so many of you on this forum.. But I truly enjoy your pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us. It's pictures like yours that help me get my Vermont fix in the years we can't make it there. :)

CT--Thanks for the advice. I remember the first year we went to Vermont I was quite nervous on the dirt roads but have gotten much better through the years. I will take your advice and venture on to some roads I am not sure about--just not the dashed seasonal roads!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Sharan: I have found the most beautiful dirt road drives by just winging it and getting off the main roads. I always have my Jimapco with me which seems to have every road in VT nailed down compared to my Cartographic. The fun part is seeing where they connect and the new amazing views around every twist and turn. I have had a couple of scares in the past few years on seasonal roads (dashed lines).

Especially the one Phil took me on two years ago in Victory Bog/Guildhall area. The name of the road is Radar Road and it was so desolate and washed out and rutty and in the middle of NOWHERE. An old radar site Is up there from WWII and it is closed off. There are a lot of sketchy stories about who is hanging around up there and although it is closed off, I would hate to be stuck on Radar Road. I made Phil turn around and he did (this time). :shock: Charles went there last year. He has a post on it somewhere on his site with great photos.

Here are some fascinating photos of the site. The stories I have googled on it are incredible.

http://www.radomes.org/museum/recent/Ly ... ordVT.html

Andy

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Charles: I wouldn't measure your worth as an artist by what Vermont Life does or doesn't do. 35 years ago when I lived in Vermont, VL was one of the nationally prominent magazines featuring quality photography. It was a real feather in a photographer's cap to be published in it. A few years back, I subscribed again. I dropped it within the year. It has become just another commercial publication. Very disappointing. I agree that you have many publish-worthy images. Problem is that today, every body and their brother with a "smart phone" supplies cheap or free imagery. These days if your name isn't alredy established or you aren't willing to give the image free, your chances are greatly diminished.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:43 am

I've been meaning to answer some of your questions, but everyone else has done so well that I didn't need to.
The Cabot Road starts off route 14 in Cabot Village and ends at the West Hill Pond Road on route 215 in Lower Cabot.
The Tebbets Road is a short road between the Dog Pond Road and the Chartier Road in South Woodbury.
All of the roads in Calais and Woodbury, between routes 12 and 14 are great rides with great color. But the roads are short and criss-cross each other and can be confusing. If you go into Montpelier city, go to the information center on 134 State Street, just west of the State Capital. They should have a local map of the roads.