Chandler Pond Farm

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

abby

Chandler Pond Farm

Postby abby » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Friday was the rainiest day of the 7 days I spent up in the NEK. I really wanted to visit Chandler Pond Farm, so despite the rain, I went here along with several members of my camera club. This place is a gem!!! It is a family run organic farm located off Rte 122 In South Wheelock.(326 Chandler Pond Road, South Wheelock VT) I was told by the owners that they have been in business for 3 years. They welcome visitors to hike around the property and they also welcomed our cameras. With better weather, we could have easily spent a half day shooting here. The pond is located behind the barn, but with the heavy rain and fog, it wasn't possible to get any decent shots of the pond. This is also a place I plan on returning to visit during the other seasons. They have a sugar shack and gather the sap the old fashioned way in the Spring, using draft horses and buckets. Here is the sugar shack:

You can see the rain falling in the out of focus area of this next image:

We weren't too happy with the rain, but the cows didn't seem to mind one bit!

The farmstand had all sorts of produce and products for sale. I bought some cherry tomatoes and a pumpkin. I aways support the local farmers whenever I visit and I hope you do too!

I hope you can make the time to stop by this beautiful farm. It is well worth the visit.....and if the weather cooperates......it is a photographer's dream!!!!
Carol

Aspen

Re: Chandler Pond Farm

Postby Aspen » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Abby, thanks for discovering, sharing information about and posting pictures of Chandler Pond Farm. Rain or shine, love seeing what that area looks like. Your announcement extends a nice invitation to come on out to enjoy this beautiful farm as well as support the locals. Definitely, will be a great photography op destination for many in different seasons! Love the picture of the Sugar Shack and the Red barn with the beautiful tree.

Note to Moderators, is it possible to transfer some of this season's great new postings under the current sticky threads of same topics?
There's a lot of very good Pond postings. Retrieving information, pictures and directions to the new ponds shared this season would be made easier if posted within the sticky thread: Ponds and lakes. Stannard Mountain warrants a permanent place in the sticky post of Best Scenic Views/Must See Spots

Aspen

ziggy_423

Postby ziggy_423 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Soooooooo jealous you got to walk around the property. We went past but I felt bad just stopping without notice. It was downpouring though, not just a little rain. It was beautiful from what we saw. LOVE the sugarhouse image. We drove nearly 2 hours out there and it just dumped and dumped. I'll pretend I took the shots you got ;) What are you doing to post-process your images? Your photos are so rich!

abby

Postby abby » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks Aspen. I am thrilled to be able to tell folks about the local farms etc. and this one is a pure gem!!! Also, we will work on placing some of these new finds on the Sticky posts. That is a very good point.
Ziggy: I can't believe you just drove by!!!! You should have stopped. I had rain gear on myself as well as my camera. It was raining steadily the whole time we were there. I wanted to go back all week hoping for a clear sky day, but alas, that never happened. The views from the top of the hill lead your eye all the way to the White Mountains in NH. Oh yes....I will surely be going back to visit here again and again.
Carol

ziggy_423

Postby ziggy_423 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:06 pm

It was POURING, like couldn't see 10 ft in front of us and THICK fog and a $1000 rental lens = no way! ha!

abby

Postby abby » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:47 am

ziggy_423 wrote:It was POURING, like couldn't see 10 ft in front of us and THICK fog and a $1000 rental lens = no way! ha!

Yikes Ziggy. I would not have taken a chance with a lens rental either. :(
Carol

sharan

Postby sharan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Gorgeous pictures! Can you give me some good directions to get to this farm? I am using the Delorme atlas and I see Chandler Pond. Is it right there?

abby

Postby abby » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi Sharan,
Yes! It is where Chandler Pond is on your atlas.
Take Rte 122 S Wheelock Road to Cold Hill Road, then take a right onto Burroughs Road and you will come upon the farm. It's a very special place and I am planning on returning here this Fall. Good luck!!
Carol

sharan

Postby sharan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Thank you Abby! I will probably have many more questions in the next few weeks. Time to get really serious in planning our upcoming trip!

abby

Postby abby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Bring on the questions Sharan. :wink:
Carol

sharan

Postby sharan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Ok Abby tell me the truth, I can take it :wink:
My plan is to visit the Chandler Pond Farm on October 7th. Also Stannard Moutain Rd and then Jay Peak.
From what I am hearing from all of you, season is a little early. Do you think I should skip this drive and plan something else? We are staying near Lyndonville and I can't really change that. What do you think?

From_the_NEK

Postby From_the_NEK » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Since you are staying in Lyndonville, Chandler Pond Farm is only a couple of miles out of town and worth a quick trip, even after peak season. There should still be some leaves on the 7th.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Postby ctyanky » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Carol: I would like to go here too before Stannard Mtn. Road. Are you and the photog club going there this weekend? Maybe you can let us know how it will be for color Monday. My plan is for Phil to take me to the NEK Monday the 30th but he doesn't know about this side visit yet. :mrgreen:

abby

Postby abby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi Sharan,
My answer at this point is "I don't know". :?

It's funny, because earlier today I was on the Chandler Pond Farm Facebook page. They posted a video of the family "haying" two days ago. Looking at the video gives a good look as to how the foliage colors are doing. I was kind of surprised, because I thought the colors would be further along than they look on the video. With that said, I know that was two days ago and a lot can happen in two days....but still......
Here's a link to the video for you to see for yourself:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chandler ... 7713782083

I'm actually going to be at Chandler Pond Farm this Friday. For sure. So, I will post an update on this thread sometime on Saturday. I'm hoping the colors hang on this year. The foliage is so fickle, so your best bet is to keep an eye on this post with an update from me......and also next week, keep checking back here on the forum for updates....especially from From the NEK who lives right in that area.

I'm hoping you do visit this place. It's a photogrphers dream. And to all others who may be reading this post, I have a reminder for you to please please support the local farmers, and if you do visit this farm or any other farm, please buy some goods from them. They need our business. Thank you!

****EDIT**** I am editing because I just realized the haying video was probably taken earlier than 2 days ago, because it was taken during the full moon. OOps. Soory.....so I'm sure that is why the colors don't look as far along as I thought they should be.....because it was taken longer than 2 days ago. DUH!

Carol
Last edited by abby on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abby

Postby abby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:28 pm

My goodness things happen fast around here. LOL I just posted my reply, and by the time I got it posted, within 2 minutes, both CT and From the NE had also posted.

So yes CT, I am taking my club here on Friday, and as I just wrote to Sharan, I am going to post and update on this thread. Be sure when you visit here to check out the sugar shack, the barns, and the pond itself is behind the barns. The family is very welcoming to visitors! :D
Carol

Return to “Foliage Forum”