Wednesday's Route - Insane?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ziggy_423

Wednesday's Route - Insane?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Is this totally insane/way off/losing my mind and my husband will divorce me if I make him drive all this in one day? What parts would you take out? I need fall to last several months and my vacation and budget to match that! ha!

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=North ... ls&t=m&z=8

Pentaxguy

Re: Wednesday's Route - Insane?

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:01 am

You come so close to the can't miss town of Peacham when you drive through Barnet. I would suggest including Peacham in your travels. Remember your route is not flat land. It will take a lot longer through the hills, and if you're anything like me, you'll be stopping frequently. Unless you really need to get down to Killington, I'd head back up 89 from Berlin to Waterbury (and back to Stowe if that's where you're staying).

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:00 am

ziggy: as long as you are in Peacham take Mack Mountain Road off of route 2 to get to Peacham Village. Beautiful drive! We are meeting for our reunion on Mack Mountain at the graveyard. Go into the graveyard and enjoy the views of the mountains. You will love Peacham!

If you have time in Danville, take Danville Hill Road into Cabot. Wowzah long view!

Place to eat:
The Creamery in Danville

ziggy_423

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:38 am

We are staying in Killington Wed night so we'll have to end up there. I'm not sure we can do that huge route in one day. Anything we could cut out (and add Peacham)?

From_the_NEK

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:09 am

Yikes! That is a very ambitious drive.
After driving up and then back down Stannard Mtn Rd you will not want to take Blakely/McDowell Rd to Danville. That is a class 4 road and it is VERY rough. You may actually want to skip Stannard Mtn altogether to save a bit of time. Go a bit further East on South Wheelock Rd and take Burroughs Rd instead.

I've actually done a reroute for you that takes you through some other really good spots and on better roads (e.g. Darling Hill Rd). Unfortunately, the reroute takes you off of Sheffield Heights in favor of Darling Hill. With the cloudiness forecast for tomorrow this should be a better option and you won't have to drive Long Pond Rd twice (it can get a little narrow east of the pond).

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Nort ... mra=ls&z=9
Last edited by From_the_NEK on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

From_the_NEK

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:11 am

Point "P" Unknown Rd is the where the access road for Owl's Head in Groton State forest is located.

What kind of vehicle are you driving? I may create another route for you that takes you off of the Newark/Darling Hill path and sends you back into Sheffield if you are driving a low ground clearance car. That section of road between Lond Pond and Newark Pond may be rougher than you like.

From_the_NEK

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:38 am

I may like this route better for you.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Nort ... mra=ls&z=9

It is a bit shorter but still hits a lot of amazing spots (e.g. South shore of Lake Willoughby - point "F").

Where do you plan on eating lunch? A side trip into Lyndonville may be your best bet if you aren't brown bagging it :)

pwt54

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:45 am

That is a lot of driving. But I know how you feel. I live here and can't get enough.
I think you should plan a day form the Peacham/Groton area. It is great now and will be hot by this weekend. Check out Martin's Pond off the Green Bay Loop Road in Peacham. Take the Owl's Head access road off route 232 in the Groton State Forest to the parking area and hike the 2/10ths of a mile trail to the mountain top. Awesome!

ziggy_423

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Thank you for the route changes! We actually decided to stay another night in Stowe and push back our Killington part of our stay a day, so we have 2 days now instead :) I'll look this all over now and figure out a way to split it into 2 days. Maybe there is a way to still do Stannard Mtn Rd and Sheffield now? Do you think?

As for a vehicle - we have a Chevy Impala. It's a rental, so I don't care too much about rough drives (if we can make it that is) - ha! We don't have lunch plans right now. Thank you!!