Gap Roads Tour

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ralphfr

Gap Roads Tour

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Hello everyone!

My wife and I will be staying in the Killington area from Oct 8 thru Oct 12. Would it be worth it to drive these roads at this time or should I concentrate on other areas for peak foliage?

Love the site na d thanks for any advice. Happy Peeping!!!

pwt54

Re: Gap Roads Tour

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:42 pm

I believe the the "Gap Roads" will be past peak by then. There may still be some good color on route 100 south of Killington early in your stay, but I would drive foothills of eastern VT. from Sharon and south to Brattleboro. You will find good color in the Champlain Valley. This would be along route US 7 and west of route US7.
Route 100 goes down through the middle of the Green Mountains and is a cold zone. It turns color early.
Keep checking in. By next weekend we should have a better idea of what is going on.

ralphfr

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 am

Thank you for the information. We will try to think east. Of course we still need our Ben and Jerry's :D fix so we may give the Gaps a try going or coming from Burlington. Thaks again.

Aspen

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:44 am

Although it would be ideal to drive the gaps during peak foliage, in reality, weather permitting, the gaps are delightful drives to experience. Mountain views are beautiful. When in Vermont and nearby any Gap drives, highly recommend them.

Aspen

ralphfr

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 am

8) Thanks Aspen. I was looking foward to the Gap's drive and you've convinced me to give it a go.

Aspen

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:36 pm

On this Foliage Forum, visit the Great Vermont Driving Routes thread. Scroll down to the "Middlebury Gap and back via Brandon Gap post. Killington has great access to many great driving routes; especially Scenic Route 100. You could plan a nice day trip up Route 100 as far as you want. A short drive from Killington, driving North up Route 100 on your right is Kent Pond. Watch for it, it's easy to miss. ( Gifford Woods will be on left of Route 100) Make a quick stop there. We saw loons on the pond one morning. Continue up Route 100 and pick up one of the Gaps. Would suggest you go to Middlebury Gap/Route 125 in Hancock. Shortly up this Gap, Texas Falls will be on your right. Stop and enjoy a walk, picnic lunch and view the Texas Falls. Continue on over Middlebury Gap. Breadloaf (yellow buildings) and Robert Frost Wayside is along Middlebury Gap. Return back to Route 100 via Brandon Gap/Route 73 and back to Killington.
Other drives people need to check out are "notches" One of Vermont's most awesome gaps is called a notch: Smuggler's Notch in Stowe. This notch takes you from Stowe to Jeffersonville. A gap or notch takes you over a mountain from one place to another. There are numerous great gaps and notches throughout Vermont.
While on this, ralphfr, consider a day trip to Quechee gorge and review some of the recommended places on this Forum mentioned for Woodstock and its vicinity. If driving to Woodstock on Route 4, stop to see the Lincoln Covered bridge that crosses the water parellel to Route 4. In Taftsville, there is also the Taftsville covered bridge. It was damaged in last year's storm. It may not be open yet, but check it out.
Killington is nearby Route 100A, it's worth the drive over to the Calvin Coolidge Homestead. Calvin Coolidge's gravesite is opposite the Homestead on a road off Route 100A. Ask for directions if needed. It's a very interesting place to visit. Sometimes the foliage around the Homestead is very beautiful.
Have a wonderful visit in Vermont.

Aspen

ralphfr

Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:17 pm

Aspen wrote:On this Foliage Forum, visit the Great Vermont Driving Routes thread. Scroll down to the "Middlebury Gap and back via Brandon Gap post. Killington has great access to many great driving routes; especially Scenic Route 100. You could plan a nice day trip up Route 100 as far as you want. A short drive from Killington, driving North up Route 100 on your right is Kent Pond. Watch for it, it's easy to miss. ( Gifford Woods will be on left of Route 100) Make a quick stop there. We saw loons on the pond one morning. Continue up Route 100 and pick up one of the Gaps. Would suggest you go to Middlebury Gap/Route 125 in Hancock. Shortly up this Gap, Texas Falls will be on your right. Stop and enjoy a walk, picnic lunch and view the Texas Falls. Continue on over Middlebury Gap. Breadloaf (yellow buildings) and Robert Frost Wayside is along Middlebury Gap. Return back to Route 100 via Brandon Gap/Route 73 and back to Killington.
Other drives people need to check out are "notches" One of Vermont's most awesome gaps is called a notch: Smuggler's Notch in Stowe. This notch takes you from Stowe to Jeffersonville. A gap or notch takes you over a mountain from one place to another. There are numerous great gaps and notches throughout Vermont.
While on this, ralphfr, consider a day trip to Quechee gorge and review some of the recommended places on this Forum mentioned for Woodstock and its vicinity. If driving to Woodstock on Route 4, stop to see the Lincoln Covered bridge that crosses the water parellel to Route 4. In Taftsville, there is also the Taftsville covered bridge. It was damaged in last year's storm. It may not be open yet, but check it out.
Killington is nearby Route 100A, it's worth the drive over to the Calvin Coolidge Homestead. Calvin Coolidge's gravesite is opposite the Homestead on a road off Route 100A. Ask for directions if needed. It's a very interesting place to visit. Sometimes the foliage around the Homestead is very beautiful.
Have a wonderful visit in Vermont.

Aspen
Stayed at the Lincoln Covered Bridge Inn our very 1st trip to Vermont. Nice trout stream back there. Been to Kent Pond also. We're staying at the Grey Bonnet this time and we stayed there the last trip. Caught some juvenile bass at Kent Pond. It's a beautiful spot! Already have been south to Weston, Ludlow and Plymouth and east to Quechee as well as the CC Homestead. We enjoyed those stops as well. Found most of these places by just grabbing the map and heading out. I'll be driving the Gaps using a route that I got from the Hemmings site. I don't have the link right now. This will be a more organized outing and I'm really looking foward to it. Thanks for all the input Aspen. Hope the waeather cooperates but if not I know well still enjoy it as we always do! :D

Here it is:http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/200 ... ure13.html