Best Maple Syrup?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ziggy_423

Best Maple Syrup?

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:35 pm

I apologize for posting this here. I'm not sure any of the boards looked like this would fit and I see this is the most popular. Which maple syrup would you say is the best in your opinion? :) Are there any places that let you sample? I'm always clueless what kind, grade, flavor to buy. And speaking of maple syrup - anyone have maple syrup icecream out there? I know that's probably a dumb question ;)

ixl

Re: Best Maple Syrup?

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 pm

What are you planning to use it for?

Do you like strong, intense flavor, or a lighter, subtler flavor?
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ziggy_423

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:13 pm

I've bought it in the store a few times and thought it tasted strange. I had no idea what to buy though. We use it on cornbread and sausage, in baking, etc. Probably lighter flavor. Was hoping to find a place with many different types to sample to know.

ixl

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Virtually any tourist trap in Vermont will have a variety of types. But free samples.. probably not. :)

A couple of tips...

First, "grade" indicates color and intensity of flavor, not quality or sugar content. Grade A light amber is the lightest variety, and is a speciality product you'll find in Vermont shops and not typically in the average supermarket. Grade B is the darkest and strongest-flavored and is best for pancakes and other places you want a strong "maple" flavor.

The very light syrup was a big surprise to me when I moved here. It's so light in flavor that I didn't even think it was actually maple syrup. Worth a try at least once.

Syrups are somewhat like honeys in that they have distinct flavor variations that are hard to tell unless you try them, but you pretty much can't go wrong.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Aspen

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Hello Ziggy, welcome to the Scenes of Vermont Fall Foliage Forum.
There are numerous places to find good Maple syrup in the areas where you will be staying in Stowe and Killington.
In fact, Scenic Route 100 also has easy access to quite a few places selling good maple syrup.
In the past, my husband and I could always pick up maple syrup from a vendor at the Moss Glen Falls on Scenic Route 100, north of Granville. You can hit two birds with one stone there, the waterfalls and maple syrup. The vendor lets you sample his syrup. Pull over to the parking area right next to where you can walk over to the Falls. Cold Hollow Cider Mill off Scenic Route 100 in Waterbury is another good place that sells an assortment of syrup. The Cabot Vermont Annex Cheese store is nearby Cold Hollow on opposite side of Route 100. It's known for its outstanding Vermont cheese but does sell syrup. When in Killington, we always venture over to the Sugarbush Farm . The Sugarbush Farm located in Pomfret is a stone's throw of a beautiful drive from Woodstock and has outstanding syrup. You may visit the area where they collect the sap, view a video and even see where they make the syrup.
The wonderful staff will advise you and let you sample their cheese and syrup . Sugarbush Farm is one of our favorite places for Vermont maple syrup. Highly recommend their maple syrup. We love their Grade B maple syrup for its strong flavor. However, decide for yourself, some prefer their Grade A. Check the Must See posts and Driving Routes posts for lots of information related to Sugarbush Farm and many other wonderful places. When in Killington, visit the Green Mountain Sugar House which is directly off Route 100; North of Ludlow. More maple syrup there. Green Mountain Sugar House is one of the best places to get a Maple creemie! It's soft ice cream with an unique maple flavor. It's a special treat for a first time maple creemie experience and every time you return to Vermont, you can't possibly pass the Green Mountain Sugar House. There are many places where you will be able to find maple syrup. It will not be a problem finding it. Buy local, support all those wonderful, hardworking folks. Only recommended a few places because they are nearby your home bases or on the routes you mentioned you'd be traveling.

Aspen
Last edited by Aspen on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ziggy_423

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Thank you!! That's exactly the info I was looking for. We are very huge supporters of local, small, family operations so this is just perfect. :mrgreen:

Utah Baker

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi Ziggy, As someone who loves to bake I too prefer the grade B syrup for its richer flavor, but it is also what we use for table syrup. Pre 9/11 days I use to lug home a gallon jug on the airplane, but can't do that anymore. Several years back we attended Danville's Autumn on the Green where we fell into conversation with a lovely old gentleman who introduced us to syrup from Sugar Ridge Farm in Danville. I have continued to order from them (a gallon jug twice a year) ever since as I have researched on the web and have found them to be the least expensive to order from and have shipped. Like you on occasion I have purchased a small amount from the grocery store, and around here it is from Canada, and just not the same, usually I find it bitter. So stick with real Vermont maple. I have found most places are happy to let you sample, and don't forget the creemees.

pwt54

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:54 pm

If you are going down to Killington, take route 100 south toward Ludlow and stop at the Green Mountain Sugarhouse. They have maple soft serve ice cream. You can also test taste the syrup.
On route 14 north in East Montpelier is Bragg Farm. Or in Montpelier, take North Main Street through the roundabout and take the first turn and continue about 2 miles to Morse Farms. Both of these places do the same thing as Green Mountain Sugarhouse.
Best deals are the small sugar makers and farms. The will have signs saying VT Maple Syrup.

ziggy_423

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Had to google "creemees" and it says it's just the VT name for soft serve icecream? True?

Andy

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Zigg; The reason I said the Sunday Brook canned syrup at Cold Hollow is the best in the world, is because it is may by my family in Bakersfield, Vermont. The Doane Family is my my mother's sister's farm. The have a very small, family operation - you would be amazed to see how they can it! My 85 year old uncle cans the syrup by hand and they hand pack all the bottles and cans of syrup and deliver it to Cold Hollow in their pickup truck.

My aunt and uncle's sugarlot is unique in that it is all on a pretty high, steep mountainside and the trees are predominantly hard, "rock" maple trees. The old-timers seem to agree that they make the most pure, maple flavored syrup.

The grades are indeed based on color - but they also are effected by "quality." In a very large part, the darker syrups are created by bacteria in the sap, which causes stronger flavor, but also less pure flavor.

Everyone I have ever talked to about this thinks maple syrup tastes "strange." We are also used to corn syrups like Log Cabin and Mrs. Butterworths, and the maple indeed had a pungent, tangy flavor in comparison. But it beats the heck out of corn syrups, once you develop a taste for it.

In addition to putting it cornbread, pancakes, waffles, etc., my favorite thing to put Maple syrup on is vanilla ice cream. I ONLY buy the "Fancy" grade (Grade A light amber).
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ziggy_423

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:40 pm

It sounds amazing, Andy! So you can buy it at the Cold Hollow Cider Mill then? Is that the only place that has it or they sell it right at their farm?

Andy

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Zigg: They sell it to Cold Hollow and a place called the Vermont Maple Museum in Pittsford, north of Rutland. They don't have a retail outlet at the farm, but if you stopped there and caught them home, if they had some canned, they would certainly sell it to you. They are quintessential, friendly, Vermonters. The possible problem is that this time of year they have a heavy demand (they often can daily and deliver loads daily) to Cold Hollow. So it would depend if they had it canned in the grade and quantity you wanted. But it would be a pretty special experience to buy it directly. CT and PWT have been there.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Ziggy: I stocked up today at Cold Hollow and got some of Sunday Brook Farm syrup. I can attest to the fact that it is the best you will ever have. A bunch of us went to the farm too. It was a lot of fun! But really, just buy it at Cold Hollow if you are not expecting to be in the area of the farm.

Like Andy, I put it on vanilla ice cream. And on oatmeal and most breakfast foods. Sometimes I even put it on a spoon and eat it when I crave it! :lol:

ziggy_423

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:34 pm

I still can't get someone to just show me where the Sunday Brook syrup is - it's SO annoying! It's always jam packed busy there and no one on the floor to show me. They either have no idea or they rattle off different ones they are so fast and go on to help someone else that I have not a clue which to get. Going to try again tomorrow.