Am I on schedule to see great color?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Am I on schedule to see great color?

Tue Sep 26, 2000 7:05 pm

I have reservations in Manchester beginning this friday to Sunday. I'm getting the feeling we're going to be early for the best color. Is this true?

svmoderator

Re: Am I on schedule to see great color?

Tue Sep 26, 2000 7:40 pm

I think in Manchester you will be slightly early; however, you can take a nice drive north about an hour and a little more to central Vermont, either up Rte. 7 and then over Rte. 4 or right up Rte. 100 to the Killington area, and you should be seeing much more color there. Also, you'll be near Mt. Snow Ski Resort and Stratton, which have higher altitudes and should have more color than at lower elevations due to the fact that it has been cooler at altitudes. I am in Quechee, to the east of Killington and Woodstock, and I drove to Randolph up I-89 today, where the color was quickly approaching peak. In Quechee, we are about halfway to peak, and it's been much colder everywhere this week, especially at night, so the color has progressed much more over the past few days. At Killington, the altitude will help the color along, I haven't been there this week, but they were further along than us even 10 days ago. I have heard that the Northeast Kingdom is peaking now, that's much further north, about 80 miles from the Quechee/Woodstock areas.So, I guess the summary is that you may be a bit early in Manchester but not much, and the higher peaks in the area will provide more color to view...also, a nice drive north aways will take you to even more color in a short time.Susanne