Maple With Red Branch Turning At The Very Top Today! Really!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Maple With Red Branch Turning At The Very Top Today! Really!

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:59 pm

I KNOW you must be rolling your eyes at this post :roll: :roll: :roll: saying oh please, but it's true! I was driving to work and saw this brilliant red branch at the very tip of a maple tree and said, "OMG this can't be!" Sporadic color change normally happens in northern CT around the first week of August when we see these very early signs. A friend who lives in my neighborhood has a house in the NEK and said she saw some swamp maples turning last week!

Is this a sign of an early fall? :lol:

Well, you know me, rushing the summer away as always, but really, it ain't no lie! And no, it was NOT a stressed tree! It was not a figment of my imagination! :shock:

So......keep your eyes peeled upwards! You may be surprised at what you see in the coming weeks! :wink:

bvahjen

Re: Maple With Red Branch Turning At The Very Top Today! Rea

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:01 pm

I saw an elephant turning pink after my fourth Mai Tai the other day!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:05 pm

My dear friend B: I'll let this cute little remark go.... only because you "really" live in CONNECTICUT. :twisted:

Maybe I'll drive down to Chester this fall to your cabin and see how many Mai Tais you really can down..... :wink:

Send me a photo of your pink elephant and I'll send you one of the RED maple branch.

bvahjen

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:44 pm

Are you sure that RED you saw wasn't FLAMES? Its hot out there! Can't believe we are 6 or 8 weeks to frost.

WXMAN76

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Hey all!

I just came back from a trip to new England and yes I saw a few trees turning. I saw a nearly full tree of red on the Jersey turnpike. Off 84 in New York I saw some pretty yellow. Signs fall is coming soon.

courtmel

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:45 am

Nice!!! I knew if I logged on to this fabulous forum I would find myself smiling and while reading about some hints of color I did :D !
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:33 am

Hi Courtmel! Glad to see you back on the forum this year. Hope you are planning your trip to VT!

Trees are starting to dull around here in many places. Especially in the northern most sections. This is about the time of the summer that we start to see the green starting to fade so we are right on schedule. There are more and more spots of red and yellow at the tips of the trees and even my neighbors are bringing that to my attention! I think I have everyone trained! :P

I tell them, "Keep your eyes peeled upward!" And all they think of is winter. :shock: Ok, so not EVERYONE is a foliage fanatic! :roll:

With all this rain we are having the trees are looking mighty fine. Yahoo! :D

deaner1971

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:36 am

As I am not coming up this year, you all can expect perfect foliage with not a drop of rain during the actual peak... :evil:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:11 am

Even Dean: That's what I'm hoping for myself! :wink: Seriously, Mother Nature holds the cards!

This morning is blissful! Feels like a fall start with clear skies, very cool temps and that intoxicating smell of autumn as a true tease! Can you believe fall is next month???? The scenario is truly starting to change around here. It is mostly a combination of anticipation and subtle hints here and there of the season arriving at this point, but it's certainly coming.........

The mums are lining the stores and fall clothes have hit the racks! I'm tempted to start pulling the autumn decor out of the boxes but I think my neighbors would start a riot. :shock:

Wish you could come up this year Dean, whatever happened to your thoughts of moving to Vermont :?: :? Have you tossed around any further ideas of moving to New England?

deaner1971

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:38 am

Yeah, I have a feeling it is going to be a great fall. I'll live vicariously through you guys (i.e. resentment flowing like maple sap on a warm March afternoon) and shoot for next year. I have hit bad weather three years straight so this will be the year the streak would have been broken. Going to try and compensate by hitting Hocking Hills State Park and Cuyahoga Valley National Park instead (I can get up in the middle of the night and be where I want to be for sunrise so a bit more workable for day trips).

Hocking Hills has some interesting topography and is frequently mentioned as a good fall destination: http://www.heartofhocking.com/Autumn.htm

And CVNP was listed by the national Park Foundation as a top ten NP for fall colors so it should be good.

Is it obvious that I am trying to sell myself on this... :cry:

Yeah, I bring it up every now and again but, if we were to move, it would be somewhere like Boston, Harford or NYC. My career has been in running small to very large investment operations groups (public pensions, insurance companies, asset managers, etc...) and my wife is an actuary so, realistically, we will need to be in a larger city. Now, if the state of Vermont ever needs a new state actuary and a new director for its public employees pension fund at the same time, I will be all over it! :D

Well, either that or you lot coach me into being a Pulitzer prize winning landscape photographer!

Cannot wait to come up and meet you all but sad it won't be this year. Of course, I'd have been conflicted if I had come up with leaving Kelly with a baby and a toddler. Next year, the two of them wil be a bit more controllable or able to come with.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:38 am

This morning I was outside with my dog and a very large flock of geese in the V formation flew overhead honking to their heart's content. It was so exciting!

We both looked upward in amazement at the beauty of the moment, and, when they were gone, yes, it's true, I glanced at my dog and she looked at me.

She winked and said, "Ahhh yes, fall is INDEED around the corner". :wink: :wink: :wink:

WXMAN76

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Help is on the way CT! Full post coming soon! Autumn is indeed just around the corner! (well not here in Florida LOL)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Went up to the MA/CT (northwest section) border today for a craft fair on a town green and lots more trees changing at their tops and even more dulling of many trees. It was a perfectly splendid day and felt like September under blue skies and high 60's!!!! A top ten day from Mother Nature and another one on tap for tomorrow. :D

I even saw pumpkins displayed and it got my adrenaline crankin'! You could smell the change in the air, no humidity and a slight chill is out there tonight and you need a jacket!!!! Can you believe that? Yowzah!!!! So exciting! :D