scouting for the Fall

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

deaner1971

Re: scouting for the Fall

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:39 am

So, that is what green grass, blessed with aerially descended irrigation, looks like...

Great way to find new places!

Utah Baker

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:44 am

Carol, thank you, thank you for the beautiful pictures! I especially like the one of the sheep and farm. It is so nice to see pictures of Vermont! Made my day. :)

deaner1971

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 am

abby wrote:
deaner1971 wrote:So, that is what green grass, blessed with aerially descended irrigation, looks like...

Great way to find new places!
Oh I just feel so bad for you and all of those suffering from this drought and heat Dean. Yes, Vermont was nice and green and healthy this past weekend. Keeping our fingers crossed it stays this way.
Carol
I am thrilled that my second home is looking healthy! Ohio can handle a drought, VT needs some good weather, full streams and gorgeous vistas to complete the recovery. Also, 100 degree days would slow the crews getting our scenic routes back to better than ever so I hope Vermont continues to bask in great weather.

I might yet still get to see Las Montanas Verdes this year so I could benefit from all of that perfect weather in a few months.

faxmachineanthem

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Hey Carol,
Just checking the SOV forum after many months of absence. Been busy this year. :D Good to see you stumbled on those roads. It really is a great area, isn't it? There are a lot of long views from many points on those roads. In Vermont, in some areas it's often tough to find breaks in the trees even when you know there should be a great view.

WXMAN76

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:30 pm

That's what they made Chain saws for! :)

deaner1971

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 am

Speaking of making the camera bag a bit heavier, I picked up my final 2012 birthday present (I am blessed with many family members who don't grasp the toys for my hobbies and just defer to Amazon GCs) with is a hand-held hiking GPS.

I am so excited to wander VT and just reach over and hit a button to mark sites for future shooting. It seems like I am always driving around and see something I would like to stop and shoot but something (midday sun, large semi trying to make me his new hood ornament, wife who has reached or exceeded her photo tolerance for the day, etc...) prevents me.

As a hiker people are always recommending hikes to me and I don't have the heart to ask, "yeah, but how are the photo opportunities) and now, I can "pre-scout" the hike and look for good vantage points.

I mention all of this because I am wondering if any of you use a GPS while scouting or have a GPS feature on your camera that allows you to know where and when you took a certain photo. Or if the scouts among you use a GPS to record the results of your expeditions.

Andy

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:50 pm

I had a GPS attachment for my camera but it drained the battery and seemed like it was in the way. I find it just one more thing to have to think about.

FYI, the program, The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) gives GPS coordinates, as do many of the other mapping programs - my DeLorme Map does.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

faxmachineanthem

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 am

Hey Carol,
I don't think I'll make it to VT this year. We're in the process of moving from NJ to Maryland for a new job. So vacation days are in short supply. To make matters worse, I found out after taking this job that October is the busiest month. :shock: