Suggestions requested for this weekend (10/17 to 10/20)

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

dkv3122

Suggestions requested for this weekend (10/17 to 10/20)

Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:53 pm

Hello everyone,

Kudos to lmdeals.com, I just got a great deal fly to visit Vermont this weekend (...on a student budget...). My husband and I have always wanted to see the fall colors up North, but never had a chance to.

This is our first time to the North East. We will fly into Burlington, arriving late Friday night (near midnight), and returning from Burlington Monday afternoon. I don't have any reservations for hotels yet.

Would someone be kind enough (I know it's too much to ask) to suggest an itinerary for us ... good driving routes and nice places to stay at? We are also interested in visiting the White Mountains (someone suggested the Kancamangus Hwy).

I am glad I found this site. I am going to research the other postings now...any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,

DKV

pwt54

Re: Suggestions requested for this weekend (10/17 to 10/20)

Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:30 pm

Your best colors will be south of Burlington. Find a room on the Williston Road ( US 2 near airport). I'd take route 116 south from the Williston Road to the end on route US 7 in Middlebury. Turn left and take US 7 south to Rutland and find a room. This will take about 2 hours, so after you find a room, take route US 7 south to Wallingford. At the traffic light turn right for route 140 west. Take route 140 west to route 30 south in Poultney. Take route 30 south to Manchester and then route US 7 north back to Rutland. I don't believe there will be much color at the Kancamangus Hwy. at that time. It is a great ride with or with out color, as are Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch nearby. You could do that area in a day, but you will have to scoot back to make Burlington at a reasonable time. Another ride you could take instead is; route US 7 south to route 103. Take route 103 to I-91 in Rockingham. Take I-91 north to I-89 north to Burlington. If you think you have enough time you could take route US 5 north instead of I-91. I hope someday you can come back up here in early October when colors are better here and in northern New Hampshire. But I would advise you to reserve a room because rooms are very hard to find in peak foliage season. This has been a wierd foliage season.

dkv3122

Re: Suggestions requested for this weekend (10/17 to 10/20)

Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:38 pm

We were lucky to find a room near the airport.

pwt54, thanks a lot for your help!

Vermont, here we come!

DKV