First Snow of the Season Has Arrived! And BRRRRRRR!!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

First Snow of the Season Has Arrived! And BRRRRRRR!!!

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:21 pm

We are getting snow here in Northern CT and the radar shows it as well in Vermont! It is beautiful! Things are starting to get covered up and it is REALLY cold! The temperatures have dropped considerably this afternoon and it is certainly a sharp reminder that winter is not too far away! Anyways, I'm sure it is short-lived and Phil is probably smirking right now as he is on his way to sunny Florida! :wink:

If the second storm comes in this weekend there are a lot of trees still turning yet and it should be very pretty!

Think I'll go turn up the heat! :shock:

WXMAN76

Re: First Snow of the Season Has Arrived! And BRRRRRRR!!!

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Yeah even here on the coast we had about an inch on the lawns. Foliage still on the trees but we don;t want to see the weekend snow Even here on the coast we may get 3-4 inches. Inland could be up to 8 inches, and with the trees still having plenty of leaves, we will have major power outages. An inch or so is nice but this could end up being the worst October Snowstorm in history from DC to Portland. Not good. Bostons snowfall record is 1.1 inches for October. Hartfords record is only 1.7. An inch or so this time of year is pretty but that much snow could be disasterous. At least I know my snowblower works!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:46 am

Hi WXMAN: The storm is looking pretty ominous now. Predictions are for 9" here with a foot or more just west of my area. The heavy, wet snow is not a good thing because our trees are still full, either green or just peak. It will be worth watching. Southern New England is supposed to get hammered. Guess I will be shoveling most of the day tomorrow. :shock:

Hopefully, the winds are not bad because I am still leaf-peeping every weekend, although heavy, wet snow could still bring them down. :roll:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:45 pm

We have a dire situation here in northern CT because of this snowstorm. Trees are buckling all over and we are losing limbs and large branches everywhere. The streets are littered. It is very, very dangerous now because of the heavy snow on the leaves which have not fallen hardly at all. I have a huge tree that recently came down in my back which just missed my house. At first the scene was beautiful, but this is a serious storm. All I hear are popping and crackling and and sirens and I am watching it all come down before my eyes. I wish would go away soon. :cry:

pwt54

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:03 pm

I just got unpack at our RV in St.Augustine, FL. After reading about Ctyanky's problems, I'm feeling kind of guilty being down here. :?

Andy

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:30 pm

They were talking about it on ESPN this morning. Word is that when the "hurricane" hit, Connecticut Power asked for help from other states -- and got it. Problem: They haven't paid for it. When this storm hit, they called again to other states for help. Answer: We'll be there --- as soon as you pay us for the last time.

I understand the Gov has gotten involved. Another big win for corporate America!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

faxmachineanthem

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:28 pm

We were hit hard in Morris County, NJ. We got about 12 inches. But my town got power back in 48 hours. I cannot even imagine going for 9 days -- unbelievable. Amazing to see what destruction can be done from an October snow. If it came a few weeks later I'd guess it would just have been sloppy roads for a day.

Andy

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Yeah. Connecticut got hit hard -- maybe the hardest (or maybe their power company's response was just the worst). Gonna be some "hell" to pay there I am afraid.

CT: Are you out there? Power back on yet? We miss you.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .