My conundrum

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

My conundrum

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:17 am

I like to take a foliage trip every fall. I pack the car and go driving for a week, taking photos from sunrise to sunset, and sometimes even sunset to sunrise. I live in the car, eat junk food, and get home tired, dirty, smelly but satisfied.

But it hasn't worked out too well the last year or two.

Last year, an unplanned construction project forced me to basically ignore all of foliage season. This year, the weird weather and poor color has made me consider cancelling my trip for the second year in a row.

The color is looking up now here in the Bennington area, and so I am once again thinking of going "somewhere". But it's hard to figure out where that "somewhere" should be. It's very hard to get any honest, reliable assessments of color, since many people are .. for the lack of a better term .. "easily impressed", and the "official" reports are aimed at getting tourists to go to their states and so tend to not be objective.

My two main places for consideration this year were coastal Maine or the southern tier of NYS from the Finger Lakes west.

Anyone have any ideas on these or other places I might consider? Thanks. :)
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

deaner1971

Re: My conundrum

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:09 am

I really wanted to go to the Catskills this year. But that is as much for the history (developing a real interest in the first and second "golden ages" of the resorts (Catskill Mountain House era and the Grossingers/Concord era). I wanted to do some of the easy hikes that allow me to combine both the foliage photos with this nostalgia.

Also in a historical/foligae theme, any interest in Gettysburg or another battlefield in peak? I always loved the juxtaposition of nature's beauty and a battlefield's inherent sorrow. Also, I like the contrast of the organic foliage and the man-made stone and metal monuments.

Just my biased thoughts but I do look forward to seeing your usualy great work from where ever you land.

ixl

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks for the kind words.

I am still not even sure I'm going to be "landing" anywhere yet. :/

It's so hard to get up to date reports for areas outside of VT, it seems.

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

deaner1971

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:25 am

I am a member on the Catskills Moutaineering forum and I saw a thread there.

Here is the site: http://catskillmountaineer.com/
Here is the specific thread: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/foru ... 052d98fabf

Might be of help.

deaner1971

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:27 am

I just read it and the reviews of Catskill color is not good for this year...

Maine coastal tour?

ixl

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Was thinking about that, but can't get any reliable reports from that area either.