10/2-10/3 100/gap roads/nek

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Snookman2

10/2-10/3 100/gap roads/nek

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:56 pm

This report is a little late cause I've been traveling back home. We had a great trip!

Sunday 10/2 Started in Stowe, did Smugglers Notch, down to 15, back over to 100. Then did 100 all the way to Rochester hitting gap roads 17, Lincoln, and 125. Color was early and muted all along 100. Best color was found on Stowe Hollow in Stowe, Bragg Hill and German Flats in Waitsfield and up high on the gap roads. Elevation was the name of the game!

Everyone said Smugglers Notch was a "must do" and boy was it! What an amazing drive! The boulders and cliffs at the top, that was incredible. My wife said it was like a fairytale. Color seemed to be peak near the top. Color also seemed to be awesome up 17 near the top. It was socked in by fog on Saturday but all the trees near the road were red and orange. I'd guess it's spectacular up there without the fog. We ended our trip by heading back to the middle of the state on Bethel Mountain Road. It was getting dark so it was hard to tell but the color looked like it might be good along there.

Monday 10/3 Started at 89 and took 302 to 232 up into Groton State Forest. Color was excellent up to Groton Lake. Maybe a little past peak up there or just more leaf drop because there were more sticks from Groton Lake down to 2. Owl's Head was awesome! What a view! We then took Mack's Mountain Road over to Peacham, great colors along there, had to be peak or near peak. Peacham itself looked closer to peak than I expected. From Peacham we took the Peacham-Danville road up to 2. Color was early along here.

The sun was shining off and on so we decided to head back up to Lydonville and do part of the NEK central loop again (did it on saturday). We loved Darling Hill so much on Saturday that we hit it again. It was spectacular! Then took 5 to 16 and headed back out to May Pond. Great colors everywhere. May Pond is amazing. My wife said if we were going to have a daughter she would strongly consider naming her May! What a gorgeous area. This area of the NEK was loaded with color however leaf drop was very noticeable when compared to Saturday. Lots more trees with sticks than two days earlier which wasn't a surprise cause it was very windy when we were up there on saturday and we could see the leaves falling off the trees in droves. Color was probably better on saturday but monday offered the long range views with the sun being out! Hit the interstate and headed over to Kennebunkport, Maine. When we passed through the Franconia Notch area the color was fantastic, had to be peak, tons of reds.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: 10/2-10/3 100/gap roads/nek

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Dear Snook! Wow Wow Wow! You had quite a trip! Yes, Smuggler's Notch is wild. I just love going through there. It is so unique and gorgeous. Glad you got there. Bragg Hill is right near me and it was a favorite of Carol's last year. She was up at the crack of dawn photographing this barn up there. They used to have a fall display at the crest of the hill but I haven't seen it in two years. I have yet to go up there and hope to get that in once again. Did you go on Common Road in Waitsfield too? That's a beauty! Carol was up there or on Bragg Hill in some mystical cloud formation storm thing and got some incredible shots. She should post them. They were a once in a life time event. When she came back to the inn she could barely talk and when I saw them on the computer I was speechless myself!

You hit some of my favorite areas again: Stowe Hollow and Darling Hill Road. I haven't been to May Pond but naming your daughter May is SPECIAL! What a nice image you will have when she is born!

So, we are going to Owls Head on Friday. Can't wait! Been wanting to go there for years and the weather couldn't be better!

Thanks for all your posting and please check in on the forum when you can!

Snookman2

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Common Road was on the list, but I ended up skipping it because 1. It was really socked in with fog at the time and 2. the color along 100 wasn't very good. Instead I opted to drive up into the higher elevations on the west side of 100 like the gap roads. I hit bragg hill and german flats cause they connected 100 to 17. Common Road will have to wait for another year.

To be clear we are having a boy! My wife said IF we were having a girl, May would be the name and we could take her to May Pond to show her what a beautiful place she was named after.

Have fun up at Owl's Head! The color was very good heading up towards that area on 232 but there was a decent amount of trees with sticks up there compared to some other areas. I don't know if it's past peak or just lots of leaf drop or if there's a difference between the two (i'm just a beginner with this foliage stuff). That being said, the view from owl's head is spectacular and there were a lot of reds out there!

pwt54

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:55 pm

This little bit of information is for all you foliage fanatics out there. I've had a chance to check those sticks we are seeing. They are the ASH trees. For some reason they are losing their leaves early. Usually these trees leaves change to a greenish-purple, then to a pale orange and last a redish brown. This year the leaves are just turning brown and dropping fast. It could be that this year is too wet for them.

Andy

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Phil: Thanks for this info. Interesting. GLAD its not the Maples, which have seemed to have been the leaf-dropping culprits the last couple trips I made.

CT: Speechless????? Say it ain't so, Joe!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:40 am

Thanks to Phil, I know every type of tree now that exists in Vermont! It has been quite an education! I think I can join the Forest Service just about now! :lol:

And Andy, there are times I am speechless. If I ever see a moose, that will be the perfect example. :wink:

Snookman2

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:47 am

Thanks for the info Phil, I find those sort of details fascinating. The topic of trees brings me to two other questions:

1. What is that tree that has all the silver leaves? It seriously looks like someone spray painted all the leaves bright silver. That is the most unique and interesting tree we saw, very cool.

2. Have you guys thought about starting a tree thread and pinning it? The thread would be to educate people about the types of trees. You post a picture of the tree, it's name and info like Phil included above about what colors they typically turn etc. I think a thread like that would be very cool.

pwt54

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:42 pm

That silver leafed tree sounds like a Silver Maple. I don't think it's native to VT.

Rockwall Tim

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:12 am

Help me out. I can't find Bragg Hill Rd. on my map (even though I know I drove it last year!).
II Cor. 4:17

pwt54

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:35 am

The Bragg Hill Road starts off route 100 in Waitsfield. It is about 100 feet north of the Junction of route 17.