Anyone from SW NY or NW PA?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Anyone from SW NY or NW PA?

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:18 am

I'm thinking of doing a photo trip starting Columbus Day weekend out to the southern tier of NY, a bit of the Finger Lakes, and northern and NW Pennsylvania.

Anyone in these areas willing to recommend some good places to shoot? I'll also consult the state parks website of course.

Any updates on the status of the leaves and the roads also appreciated. Thanks.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ixl

Re: Anyone from SW NY or NW PA?

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks! Those are on my list. :) I think I may be too late for the color in Allegany though.

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Andy

Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Charles: From what I have seen you may be late in Letchworht, to. The "midwestern" part of the NE (MI, OH, PA, W VA) all seem to be at least a week ahead this year.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

DCE Nebraska

Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:53 pm

I have been through SW New York and NW Pennsylvania many times on the way going to and from Vermont. SW New York is similar to Central Vermont as for foliage peak. But Letchworth which is farther north is slightly later because of closeness to water. The Watkins Glenn and Bath areas along with the Interstate 86 road are all very colorfule. When you go from New York to Pennsylvania, a good stop would be the "Grand Canyon of Pa" which is just west of Wellsboro. The towns west of this area are quite colorful and it seems that all have a festival either the first saturday or 2nd saturday in October.. When we come back from Vermont, Interstate 80 is very colorful. We have traveled all of the rural areas north of Interstate 80 north of Brookfield, Clarion, and Clearfield areas and enjoyed it very much as for fall colors. A very colorful road to that area from Vermont is to take Interstate 88 from Albany to Binghamton. You would be too late for the color in the adirondacks at the time you would be going to SW New York and Northern Pa. You will enjoy the fall colors here immensely.

ixl

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:29 am

Thanks very much!

I did a Finger Lakes trip in 2008 and it was very nice around mid-October. I thought I had "done" that area, but I focused on the lakes and not the many gorges and waterfalls, which I learned more about when my son started college in that area this year. I'm using the opportunity to visit him as a springboard to my trip out in that area.

Looks like I'll be doing quite a bit of exploring and on-the-fly color hunting.

If I go. :/ I'm seeing far too many reports in general of sub-par color and am not sure I want to drag out on a trip if the color will be poor.