I'm here in my beloved Vermont! Yahoo!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

I'm here in my beloved Vermont! Yahoo!

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:26 pm

What a day! I see that bm has made quite a nice post on our first day of 10 that I am in Vermont. She has nailed all the names of the roads down quite well as I can't remember anything, the roads have become a blurr!!!!!

So, I am really exhausted! I left northern CT at 7:00 and it sprinkled and misted the whole way up 91. When I crossed the VT border that smile of pure bliss just appeared on cue as always and I was in Vermont heaven! The ride was ok except when I got on 89 at WRJ the deluge of rain came in buckets for the next hour right to my exit for 100B to Moretown. It was white- knuckle driving the entire way and with those damn tractor trailers spewing all the rain at me, my wipers could hardly keep up! This state does not need all this rain! And it is pouring out as I type this! I prayed that it would stop at the exit and it did, just misted and then came down again for awhile and then it brightened the rest of the day but very cloudy! Met bm for lunch in Waitsfield and prepared the next action plan. Mind you, I have been up since 3:30 this a.m. but I was raring to hit the roads! This chic knows the ins and outs of all these back roads! Mind blowing! :shock:

By the way, we didn't get to go to the Peacham Fall Foliage fest due to the rain! This is my fourth year of planning and fourth year I didn't make it. The first two years it was before my trip began and the last two due to heavy rains. Oh well. Will try again next year! :roll: Also, 89 is one of my favorite roads to travel on because the scenery is breathtaking and I couldn't see past the white line in the road with the downpours let alone the mountains completely obliterated with fog and clouds! bm assured me we can redo this stretch before I leave!

So, I took a lot of pictures especially in Stowe Hollow at the red barn where Andy and Carol have the most amazing photos I have ever seen taken here. It is at the intersection of Upper Stowe Hollow and Stowe Hollow Road which she mentioned in the post. Maybe either one of them can post a shot here?

Cold Hollow Cider Mill sucked a few bucks out of me. I got two free Cold Hollow bags because I bought so much stuff! LOL! All gifts for family and friends. I love to bring home gifts from VT! People love anything VT and I have a huge trunk in my rental car so I am all set and prepared to shop my heart out! Stowe was not crowded at all but will probably be insane starting tomorrow.

Despite the persistent rain, I am so happy to be here in Vermont. And to be with my friends here is the icing on the cake. I am nice and cozy in my gorgeous room at the inn and feel so at peace it is indescribable. I am also exhausted and have to prepare for tomorrow's excursion to the NEK with dear Phil. We are leaving at 9:30! I can't wait!

By the way, I am just a babbling brook at the moment and the full force of the hurricane is about to burst any day now! And Phil will be taking the full brunt of the storm! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: I'm here in my beloved Vermont! Yahoo!

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Carol: thank you for posting this amazing photo. It is such a scenic! Somewhere Andy or Phil has directions for everyone to get there. You have nailed this one girlfriend!!!!!

WXMAN76

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Absolutely gorgeous. It is pouring down here in Mass, but this should be the worst of your whole trip. Enjoy the next few days. I can't wait to be back up there on Tuesday!

bvahjen

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:21 pm

I leave tomorrow morning, can't wait! Its a hard life when you wait all year for 14 days, but that is why we live here!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:35 pm

hi bv!!!!! You should be glad you didn't come up tonight. Wicked storms here. I have more junk to get out of my car and I don't dare leave my room. I need sunshine. I'm looking forward to seeing you and your wife Saturday at the Chester Craft Fair on the Green. My trunk has a lot of room left even after hitting Cold Hollow and I haven't even been to one single country store yet :!: Remember last year how much your wife and I bought???? We had bags full! It was so much fun and such a gorgeous day! I hope you have a nice day to yourself tomorrow to do your thing before your family arrives! I'm anxious to see what this wood chopping event in Chester is all about. New experiences in Vermont are always welcome! :lol:

We are driving Popple Dungeon Road and East Hill Road afterwards. Do you want to do a short caravan on them with us before we leave???

See you soon!

Andy

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:11 pm

ctyanky wrote:Cold Hollow Cider Mill sucked a few bucks out of me. I got two free Cold Hollow bags because I bought so much stuff! LOL! All gifts for family and friends.
I ASSUME some of that was SUNDAY BROOK FARM Maple Syrup???????????

I posted my Grand View Farm Shot on BM's thread before I read this one. Good thing. We don't need Andy and Carol's "dueling barns" :lol:

Hey Carol: When did you shot this one? I saw the one you did on the trip with Phil, but I thought that was not during foliage season. The colors in the BG really make this photo come alive, don't they?
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:09 am

Hi Andy: Yes, of course, it was Sunday Brook Farm Syrup! I made a point to find the owner and she pointed me to the section that contains your Uncle's syrup. She said, "We love the Doanes!!!!" I got two bottles too. If anyone is going to Cold Hollow please be sure to ask where they market the Sunday Brook Farm syrup because it is all under one label of course, Cold Hollow. It is on the shelf on the opposite side of the donut production. It is in glass LEAF bottles and in carafes. You won't be disappointed. It is the sweetest syrup on earth. Phil, Al and I got to meet one of Andy's relatives as we drove up to Sunday Brook Farm two years ago to see where this syrup was made!

Your photo of Grand View Farm is simply gorgeous! I hope everyone can get there to shoot this scenic!!!!!

Andy

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:03 am

Thanks, CT. I'm going to cut and paste this and send it to my cousin. They will love the free advertising :)

Thanks on the Grand View Farm image. I got lucky on the sky that day. I is one of my own favoriyes. Directions in the PDF. But I never would have found it without some help - none other than our own PWT! Thanks Phil.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .